Menu
SirGravity
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

moving the hub for better wifi

I'm not sure if this is the right place, but here goes.

Way back, when I moved from dial up, we had our broadband set up. We have the router in an upstairs room/home office and then, later, we had a second cable access box downstairs for the TV.

As time has passed we have begun to set up a smart home, based around Amazon echo for the most part. However, the signal in the kitchen is very patchy to say the least. My idea is to move the router downstairs so the signal should reach the kitchen.

We only have one cable socket downstairs. Is there a way to create a passthrough system, either with the SUperhum (Oldish) or the TiVo? Would an alternative be to upgrade the hardware? I hear the new box can work wirelessly and we are on a good connection at the moment.

Thanks in advance

mark

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: moving the hub for better wifi

Hi SirGravity, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your wireless connection. 

If you need to move the hub then you would need to speak to customer services and there is a charge of £99 for the installation fee. Best number to speak to them on is 150 free from a  Virgin land line or 0345 454 1111 (usually come out of your minutes from any other phone)

It may help to try Getting the best WiFi Signal

Let us know how you get on.

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
vircom
Super solver
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

An alternative would be to provide a wifi access point using a pair of powerline adapters. That way you would have wider overall coverage and the cost would be similar to having the Shub moved. Another option would be to put the Shub into modem mode and purchase a router that gives a stronger wifi signal. The cost of a good wifi router is likely to be more than having the Shub moved but does give other advantages over the Shub, such as improved security and configuration options.

You will only know if moving the Shub or buying your own router will give inproved coverage after you have spent the money. So long as your ac mains wiring is sound, the powerline adapters will almost certainly improve coverage.

tonyworks
Superfast
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

You can  always use a wireless repeater. I bought one from eBay for 8.99. It works very well for me. It gets the signals to all the corners of the house.

Tony

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@tonyworks wrote:

You can  always use a wireless repeater. I bought one from eBay for 8.99. It works very well for me. It gets the signals to all the corners of the house.

Tony

Cough... splutter... a wifi repeater that actually works !  Which model is that Tony and what Hub you on ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
tonyworks
Superfast
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Its just a cheap one I found on eBay, I have two, one is connected by cable and the other I use just by WiFi.

Not sure if I can put the link on but you should be able to find it 

"Wireless Repeater 300Mbps WiFi Signal WiFi Simple Range Extender Router Booster"  it cost £8.99

I have no problem with them as long as you set them up ok. I do find that the one connected by cable works the best (its all the same extender just configured differently.)

also I have a hub 3 which I put into modem mode then a tp-link router

Tony

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Good wireless on your tp-link router means good for a Wireless Repeater.

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Found it - looks ok except its 2.4 GHz only - cheers.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
SirGravity
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all - £99 is a bit step when I only want to know if I can fasten the hub to an existing cable point! I have tried a simple booster with little joy. I'll try it again in a different place.

Another option I thought I could try is getting the upgraded box and hub package, cabling it myself. It seems to have a splitter included so the hub can sit downstairs if necessary

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Why not bite the bullet and get your own wifi router or access point.  Very good ones can be had for ~£70 - if you do that you will wonder why you didnt do it ages ago !

--------------------
0 Kudos