cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0

Philz0r
Joining in

I have had nothing but bother from Virgin media for over 2 weeks now.

my internet keeps dropping out across all my devices and have terrible speeds. 

The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
8The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
9The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
10The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
11The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
12The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
13The device **:**:**:**:**:** has low signal strength, please move it closer to Hub 3.0.
14Please place your WiFi device near the Hub 3.0.

i phoned virgin up yesterday and the guy who answered was very rude, unhelpful and unwilling to listen to what i had to say.

i told him my problems and he told me to restart my router and check all the cables, which i have done and he basically called me a liar saying the router hadn't been restarted in over 2 weeks despite the fact i have restarted it about 20 times in the last week alone and leaving it off through the night over the weekend. 

getting really fed up now, looking at this problem from previous people's threads it looks like a router problem that requires a replacement, i really dont want to have to sit on hold for another hour to be told "turn your router off at the wall, factory reset it" over and over.

30 REPLIES 30

They’re sending a bloke round tomorrow, guess I’ll see what he has to say.

@Philz0r wrote:

They’re sending a bloke round tomorrow, guess I’ll see what he has to say.

They’ll likely ask what you can connect with a wire instead of wireless. And advise on using your own router.

They may also swap the hub over but no bets on that fixing it. 

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

No offense but once again missing the point, I don't think any of us are disputing the Virgin are providing the speed they say they are. The point is that once in the house, it ain't going nowhere. If the router says as other ppl have said here that EVERY device needs to be moved closer to the hub then it's not EVERY device we own, that all used to work perfectly, "needs to be moved closer". This morning, nice as the lady was, she kept saying well you obviously have blackspots in your house. Blackspots that haven't existed in 30 years but suddenly exist now since they put the speed up. Does that make sense?

Again why should we have to buy new equipment to be able to get the service we are paying for? I appreciate this is the answer most given but it's the wrong answer in my opinion. Spend more money to fix something that wasn't broken before seems wrong.

Further to this, yesterday I did a pinhole reset. After that, the speeds were substantially improved and it said only one device needed to be moved closer. This morning I cdn't access the settings until I did a power reset and it's back to saying all devices needed to be moved. Also I went thru every device's mac address and changed them to identify them and now they're almost all showing as unknown. These are all things that I am not changing or are being changed when I correct them. So when are Virgin going to accept the problem is the router, not anything I am doing, I have to change or that is happening bc anything has changed in this house. I do not have blackspots suddenly that were never there before (in 30 years) and the only thing I've changed is the crap cable that came with the router. 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here @smf4122.

I can see from your account that you have had a recent technician visit, have they been able to resolve the issues since you last posted?

Regards,

Steven_L

Remains to be seen tbh. I haven’t had a chance to test it out in all places. But he did a few other things as well so I’m very pleased that at last we had an engineer attend. Thanks for asking. 

Thanks for the update smf4122 on the recent visit, please do keep us up to date with this and if it has helped resolve the issues 🙂

Rob

Further to this, I checked this morning and it says (for the first time in years) that everything’s perfect and it no longer shows even one device “needs to be moved closer”…however, it also shows 0 Wi-Fi devices connected which is of course rubbish. This might explain why it doesn’t say any of them need to be moved closer but if they’re not connected to the hub what are they connected to???? My laptop was testing at nearly 100 this morning which is the best it’s been for years so the hub telling me no devices connected is a worry. 

Hi @smf4122,

Thanks for your post. I have taken a look and can see currently there's 2 connected devices by Ethernet and 0 Wi-Fi connected devices.

Please can you try rebooting the hub as there is an uptime of 32 days.

Let me know if this changes anything.

Thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs