cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

low broadband speed

gilburton
Dialled in

I'm on 350 mbs and I was getting that on ethernet and app 200 on wifi.

Recently this has dropped and I'm only getting 50 mbs on wifi which,to me, is the fallback speed when there is a problem.

I've tried resetting the router and laptop with no difference.

I got into the router and did the analyser/fault finder and it agreed I had a fault and said try again in 23 hours? does this mean they are going to try and reset something?

It also said they may arrange a technician if it isn't sorted?? Anyone know what they are doing??

18 REPLIES 18

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Whats probably changing is your wifi environment. Is you do a Wifi scan how many 2.4 and 5 GHz network SSID's can you detect (and could potentially connect to if you knew the password!) - and on what channels - and is the situation "busy" and ever changing?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I did run a scan using wireless wizard but I'm semi rural so it's not too bad. 

I'm quite happy I'm now actually getting a bit more on the 5gh channel on wifi than I was getting before but I have a pc upstairs on ethernet and it's usually well over the 350mbs as is my laptop if plugged in.

It was just the fact it had dropped to 50mbs

All good 

Hi gilburton,

We're sorry to hear about the broadband speed issue you had. 

We're glad to hear this has all been resolved for you now. 

^Martin

Well it has but only because I had to go into the router and separate 2.4 from 5 under different names.

This was done after quite a bit of research and help on here.

Still doesn't explain why it suddenly dropped to 50 mbs on wifi?

There are numerous factors that can impact the wireless signal strength and range throughout a property gilburton. We have these tips available to help with broadband issues:

When running a speed test we would always recommend running this via a wired connection This can be completed using an ethernet cable via a PC or laptop and will allow us to see the speeds available at the Hub.

We do have the Connect App https://virg.in/connectapp that will allow you to scan your property to optimise the wireless network and if needed order pod's. Depending on your package these may be free but any package is eligible for these if needed.

Rob

Standard scripted reply obviously hasn't read the previous posts.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the responses gilburton,

I know there wouldn't be a set readings as Wi-Fi temperamental however can I ask just ask before these issues, what speeds were you getting via Wi-Fi?

Regards,

Kain

Up to 200mbs. I'm only 2 mtrs directly in line of site with the router so the issue has nothing to do with location in the house and my environment has not changed.

Something has changed and the only temporary way round it was to rename the 2.4 and 5ghz channels and split them so I'm now running on the 5 gh channel only.

If I go on the 2.4 ghz channel it's 50 mbs??

Just did a speed test and it's 180 mbs on the 5gh channel.

If I use ethernet I'm getting over the 350 mbs which my package is on.

To be honest I don't really understand the wireless settings in the router so if you have a standard chart showing settings I could have a look and compare for any problems ??

Hello gilburton,

Thanks for your post. 
Sorry to hear about the issue with your wifi.
I can look into this for you. 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L