Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

linking routers to improve wireless signal

Hi im after some advice first post here and sorry if its already been covered,

I have a wireless signal problem where as in the back room of the house we can't get any signal i did by a tp link wireless repeater and couldn't get it to work so have just upgraded to a super hub 3 in the hope the signal would improve but no joy, i want to know if i can use my old wireless virgin router and link the two to improve wireless connectivity in back room of the house ? The old router was a super hub 2 

Virgin representative who upgraded me didn't know if it would work so thought id ask the community.

Thanks In Advance Dan 

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: linking routers to improve wireless signal

short answer - no
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

longer answer - yes - but maybe not as you would like

you can use the wifi on the SH2 - infact you can also use 3 of its ports - to do that you need to run an Ethernet cable from the hub3 to the back of the house - before connecting the SH2 to it you need to connect it to a laptop/pc and turn off DHCP and set its address to something other than 192.168.0.1 - a high number on the final digit is a good idea - say 99 - you can rename the wifi if you want to keep it separate from the hub3 - once you have done that save the settings and disconnect it from the pc - whilst doing that its best to turn off the hub3 or disconnect it from the pc

once all thats done connect the SH2 to the lan cable at the back of the house and to the hub3 - turn everything on and you should see the wifi on the hub3 and separate wifi on the SH2 - as said you can also use the lan ports on the SH2 for wired connections

some of the lights on the SH2 will be flashing as there is no internet input - black tape will cure that

Tony
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply i,ll give it a go will the sh2 work wirelessly? once in the back room 

Cheers Dan 

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

it will provide a WIFI connection to devices, but it must be physically connected to your main hub via that long ethernet cable.

you can't link them together using just WIFI.
0 Kudos