Menu
stevie777
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

ip address location

I am trying to watch rte iplayer in northern ireland but i am blocked because location but i should be able to watch all programmes and not be blocked in northern ireland. I have been asked by rte for virgin technical team to email rte iplayer technical team to get it resolved. Been advised by virgin media to post here. Screenshot_20190830-195825.png

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: ip address location

IP addresses do not have locations. The site that is blocking you will be using a thurd party geo location service that is wrong. they need to get them to update that or whitelist your IP.

Nothing the ISP can do to change this

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
stevie777
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

They say if virgin email they can get a solution and sky/bt have done it in the past to solve the issue. All i want is for virgin to email to discuss the issue. Who do i contact for this to be done?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

it can't be done. that is not how IP networks work

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I expect RTE want Virgin Media to email them to confirm that the OP's IP address (and corresponding subnet) is allocated to a customer in Northern Ireland. RTE will then lift the block.

0 Kudos
stevie777
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks bromham, no one at virgin media seems to want to email rte to get the issue solved. Do you know what else i can do to get virgin to contact rte technical team to get a solution to the issue. 

0 Kudos
bromham
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's not going to be easy.  You could try ringing VM's customer service but they are generally absolutely useless at anything out of the ordinary and it's quite impossible to contact anyone who works on the technical side of the business.

Your best bet is to wait for one of the forum staff to pick this up and do something.  They are generally helpful but, even then, I'll be surprised if they can do any more than email their colleagues who will ignore the request. 

VM's service is fine when it works but they have the worst customer service in the business.

You could also press RTE.  After all, it's really their problem if they're blocking an IP address that is allocated to a user in NI.

If you're interested in a technical solution, you could consider using a commercial VPN service to make it appear that your connection originates from an IP address that RTE recognises as being in NI but you really shouldn't have to go to those lengths.

0 Kudos
stevie777
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Rte got me to do a location check and when i sent the results they said virgin just had to contact there technical team to sort the issue. I think yoir right, I have done message service to talk to technical team and never get through and also was promised call back from supervisor and no call ever received. Rte seem to think its a simple solution hence the reason i would like virgin media to email to see what can or cant be done. Hopefully a forum staff does pick it up. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning stevie777,

Thanks for your posts on our Community Forum and I'm sorry to see you're having issues with RTE Player in Northern Ireland.

I can look into this for you to see if we can resolve this for you

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner of the screen for a PM from me

Kindest regards,

David_Bn 

0 Kudos