cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intermittent broadband

TPM87
Tuning in

Hi 

Ive been a VM broadband customer since April 2021. Since joining VM I've had the most unreliable broadband. I have had three engineer visits, each time giving a different excuse as to why things were the way they were before explaining they have made a change that will stop the issue post their visit. Obviously this is never the case and to-date I still have the same issue. I signed up to the 1Gig package at £62 per month. Wired using 'SamKnows' I achieve a wired speed output of no more than 300mbps. The connection is so poor that there have been total outages on a handful of occasions that have lasted between a few hours to a day or so. At its best I could watch a TV programme (on demand IPlayer) and I will have constant buffering. It because so frustrating having buffering every minute or so, that I often leave the wired super 1Gig broadband and connect my device to my O2 mobile, which has a perfect connection. I have reported this problem on multiple occasions by phone, social media and via this community before. Social media do engage but explain they cant help and direct me to this community forum. Whenever I call, I ever get told that Im being transferred and then the phone gets put down or someone does answer and I go through the security process again and again until that person says ''You have to wait''. The entire process, endless hours on the phone and overall poor service has physically drained me. All I seek is a reasonable service. I don't expect to get 1Gig wired connection output, I don't expect miracles. But I do expect a form of reliable service, so I can actually watch TV without internet that is no better than a dial up. Due to the lack of service since April I raised a complaint about the lack of service and being billed for a service I'm not getting. To-date the bill keeps rising, but the matter remains the same. I have been promised multiple call backs from a manager which never happens. I did receive a letter a few weeks ago to say that VM were unable to monitor my broadband for 30 days with instructions to call customer services to help resolve my complaint satisfactorily. When I do call and explain this I get the same response ''Just wait'', ''I cant help you'', ''A manager will call you''. I am so fed up and admit Virgin Media, you have beat me into submission. I have no strength to call anymore, seek help from social media or follow your instructions from you letter advising me to call. I will no more wait for any manager to call. But please, help me. All I ask is for someone to sort my internet and reimburse me for charges for the service you know I haven't got. I beg that someone from VM shows me some care and want to help a customer who actually wants to remain a customer. HELP ME PLEASE!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Forum staff will respond and try and help, give them a chance to do that.  If things still don't get promptly resolved then you should escalate the original complaint from March, by contacting CISAS.  Don't start that until you've seen if the forum staff can work wonders, because when a case is taken on by CISAS the company have to respond to CISAS until  decision is reached, and as a general rule you can't deal with VM and CISAS in parallel.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Forum staff will respond and try and help, give them a chance to do that.  If things still don't get promptly resolved then you should escalate the original complaint from March, by contacting CISAS.  Don't start that until you've seen if the forum staff can work wonders, because when a case is taken on by CISAS the company have to respond to CISAS until  decision is reached, and as a general rule you can't deal with VM and CISAS in parallel.

TPM87
Tuning in

2ND POST (first no help from VM). Although I did receive a letter saying they tried to contact me, which is untrue because my phone hasn’t rang and they have correct details. 

Hi 

Ive been a VM broadband customer since April 2021. Since joining VM I've had the most unreliable broadband. I have had three engineer visits, each time giving a different excuse as to why things were the way they were before explaining they have made a change that will stop the issue post their visit. Obviously this is never the case and to-date I still have the same issue. I signed up to the 1Gig package at £62 per month. Wired using 'SamKnows' I achieve a wired speed output of no more than 300mbps. The connection is so poor that there have been total outages on a handful of occasions that have lasted between a few hours to a day or so. At its best I could watch a TV programme (on demand IPlayer) and I will have constant buffering. It because so frustrating having buffering every minute or so, that I often leave the wired super 1Gig broadband and connect my device to my O2 mobile, which has a perfect connection. I have reported this problem on multiple occasions by phone, social media and via this community before. Social media do engage but explain they cant help and direct me to this community forum. Whenever I call, I ever get told that Im being transferred and then the phone gets put down or someone does answer and I go through the security process again and again until that person says ''You have to wait''. The entire process, endless hours on the phone and overall poor service has physically drained me. All I seek is a reasonable service. I don't expect to get 1Gig wired connection output, I don't expect miracles. But I do expect a form of reliable service, so I can actually watch TV without internet that is no better than a dial up. Due to the lack of service since April I raised a complaint about the lack of service and being billed for a service I'm not getting. To-date the bill keeps rising, but the matter remains the same. I have been promised multiple call backs from a manager which never happens. I did receive a letter a few weeks ago to say that VM were unable to monitor my broadband for 30 days with instructions to call customer services to help resolve my complaint satisfactorily. When I do call and explain this I get the same response ''Just wait'', ''I cant help you'', ''A manager will call you''. I am so fed up and admit Virgin Media, you have beat me into submission. I have no strength to call anymore, seek help from social media or follow your instructions from you letter advising me to call. I will no more wait for any manager to call. But please, help me. All I ask is for someone to sort my internet and reimburse me for charges for the service you know I haven't got. I beg that someone from VM shows me some care and want to help a customer who actually wants to remain a customer. HELP ME PLEASE!

Hi @TPM87,

Welcome back to our community forums.

We apologise for the delay in getting back to you and to hear you have been experiencing this ongoing issue. This truly is not the best service we look to provide and we can understand the frustration caused by the ongoing issue and the lack of help.

We want to do our best to look into this for you and to help resolve this.

I have been able to access your account using your forum details. Looking into your account, there is currently a planned outage that may be affecting your services. We are sorry about this and our team are working hard to resolve this. The estimated fix time for this is 21 JUN 2021 15:00.

Please let me know if the issue persists after this and we will do our best to help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi 

thanks for getting back to me. Although why is it that no matter how many times I explain or no matter how many calls/messages I always get the same response. Yes there was an outage, just as there has been multiple times before and likely will be again. However this was not the cause of my broadband issue which has been ongoing since install in April. Despite my lack of service VM continued to bill me abs as part of my complaint I did say that why should I pay for a service I’m not getting. I waited the 30 days and more as asked and still nothing has been done. VM reassured me that I would be credited to cover my bill because you know there is a problem, yet nothing was ever done. Now the account shows as areas and everything has been suspended, something I was told would never happen. In fact all I do get is constant letters saying you tried to contact me which is a load of rubbish. No one has ever tried to call me. I am genuinely disgusted by the lack of customer service or care. 

TPM87
Tuning in

So I spent another hour on the phone today. I was transferred between three representatives and have now started keeping logs of calls and what was said. In short I learned that VM have lied to me about crediting my account to cover cost due to repeated broadband issues. I also learned that even though the VM website says there is not a problem logged in an area, it can be factually incorrect. This is because they only show a problem on there website if the problem is reported by multiple customers. This also determines the priority in which they will sort a problem. Clearly mine is the lowest priority. I also discovered that when I was sold the 1Gig package VM knew there was an ongoing issue in my area, therefore knew there would be a likelihood of me suffering poor unreliable internet that doesn’t work at all more often than it does poorly. I was also told today that they couldn’t say if or when the problem will be treated as a priority and be repaired. The representative said that despite previous promises of my account being credited to reflect what they know (crap internet) I will still have to pay £180 now outstanding and if they do decide to fix it, they will reimburse me. I am fuming by this company. I had to call twice today because the first rep laughed at me whilst demanding payment and not listening to the fact I had a long ongoing complaint. The second told me he couldn’t help and that he works in a little office in the Philippines. He also told me that VM often directs calls to him knowing they are not in a position to actually resolve issues and only have a script to work from. He then put me through to Luke in the UK before Luke put me through to a lady who told me all the above. My husband has now ordered BT because I suffer with stress abs anxiety and this company is really had a negative effect on me. I’m very upset. 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @TPM87

I am so sorry for the stress and anxiety this has caused you, that is not the high standard of service we aim to provide. I understand how frustrating this must be - to spend so long on the phone to us and not have your broadband issue resolved. I truly apologise.

I have taken a look at your account and can see that your services are currently impacted by an SNR outage. The estimated fix time is 18.00pm today (24/06) - please can you let me know how things are working following the fix time?

Hopefully we will have your services back up and running again asap.

Best wishes,

Serena

Hi thanks for you’re reply. However the outage being rectified does not change the fact the bill is now at £180, overdue and the poor service and lies I’ve had to this point. Virgin media should not allow customers to sign up knowing there is a long ongoing problem in an area that will impact them daily. 

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to me @TPM87

Just to expand on this, an SNR is not a fault but an issue on the line which can affect customers in minimal ways.  As such the majority of customers can use a service affected by SNR without any negaitve experience.  As per the terms and conditions bills should always be kept upto date to avoid suspension of services. When you sign up as a new customer you have 14 days to trial the service to decide if right for you.

As no disconnection was requested in the 14 days - the bills are correct and chargeable.

As a Goodwill Gesture, I am happy to offer one months free service for the customer service you experienced - or to disconnect your account in full with no early disconnection fees, but the outstanding balance will remain chargeable.

Please let me know if you are happy with either of these solutions,

Many thanks,

Serena

Hi Serena,

I did request that the service be cancelled initially and was promised the fault would be sorted.  I was led to believe the fault was a temporary issue that would quickly be resolved. It was only yesterday that I found out there had been a ongoing outage problem from the beginning that was not disclosed to me. I also early on raised the concern that I did not want to be paying £62 if VM are unable to provide a consistent reliable and resonance speed connection which again I was reassure would be not happen. I was advised that the bill would be credited and that after what was portrayed as a temporary fault being rectified they package could be reviewed so that I would only pay for the service you can reliably provide. I then was emailed a letter saying I could cancel without fee or charge but again was reassure not to worry. I remain disappointed with the way I have been treated, spoken to and pretty much called a liar. I have started to record conversations because of the false promises etc. During one of my calls yesterday, I suggested a reasonable way to resolve the issue would be to downgrade the package to 300MBPS, apply what that would cost per month and deduct for loss and lack of service since April (date of install). Then send an engineer who actually wants to look into the issues and who doesn’t make comments like “I take what a customer says as a pinch of salt” Why should I be liable to paying £62 per month for a service you have failed to provide from day one. Especially after making false promises. I have commission BT to install broadband this Saturday because I just can’t rely on VM. I have been unable to even watch a BBC catch up tv programme without constant dropping connections, very slow dial up type speeds and many days of total outage. I’m not taking it out directly on you, I appreciate your help. But do you really genuinely believe a customer should be treated the way I have and then still hold them liable for Costs of a service which Virgin Media have failed to provide at no fault of my own. 

please help resolve this sensibly and satisfactory today. It has dragged on to long. I have a father who he just been diagnosed terminally ill and on top of this I have had to deal with Virgin Media weekly since April, spending hours and hours on the phone, making myself available at home and have not been able to relax or work because of the lack of service. Your company really has had a negative impact on me.