Menu
abacab
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

intelligent wifi? you're having a laugh

right i'm now getting to the point of cancelling, but hopefully someone will be able to convince me otherwise.  I should point out that, up until recently,  i worked for VM tech support, so am fairly au fait with frontline diagnostics etc, but since i left, my broadband, and in particular my wifi has been laughable to say the least.  

my initial problem was that all my devices, both wired and wireless, would drop connection at the same time, and eventually my hub would reboot. called tsc,  and was sent a new hub.  installed new hub, same problem, so technician dispatched.  Said tech was great, replaced absolutely everything apart from the cable between my house and the cabinet.  issue solved...or so i thought.

what i'm now seeing is that my ethernet devices are fine, but wifi drops on all devices, showing connected no internet. rather than use the default ssid, i've renamed mine. i've tried switching off the 2g, i've left them both on but deactivated the channel optimisation, all permutations, but still utter garbage.  last night i set up a guest network, get home from work today, the guest network has been deactivated, and the hub reset to the default SSID - house has been empty all day, so no human interaction to blame. 

anyone got any ideas?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: intelligent wifi? you're having a laugh

Modem mode and own wireless router would be a better place to start from.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you given 2.4 and 5 Ghz separate SSID's ?

On a less sensible note...

Would you like me to give you the number for Gadget Rescue ?

*kippies ducks*

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
abacab
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I've not split the SSIDs as I've never needed to previously and, given that I'd switched 2g off completely, I really shouldn't need to...should I?

As for gadget rescue, thanks but I think I'll pass on that one, although I wouldn't be surprised if offshore tried to pass me over, even after I point out that it's multiple devices 😂

@Kippies wrote:

Have you given 2.4 and 5 Ghz separate SSID's ?

On a less sensible note...

Would you like me to give you the number for Gadget Rescue ?

*kippies ducks*

0 Kudos
gcarter
Dialled in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Roughly how many wireless devices in your home are connected to the superhub? 

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

There's been more than a few reports of Hub3's losing their customer settings for no obvious reason, and mutterings (I don't know how well founded) that this is a firmware bug and is being worked on.  Judging by previous Hub 3 problem fixes, you may have more luck waiting for Godot than the VM fix.  I'm running a load of custom settings and haven't (fingers crossed) encountered anything like this, although my Hub 3 randomly drops its 2.4 GHz signal and then restarts it a few minutes later.  

I think your choices are to buy your own router (or a circa £200 mesh system if that works better for your property), or cancel and go with an Openreach provider, crossing your fingers and hoping that their router isn't quite so crap.  The Hub 3 is a very mediocre effort, primarily because it was designed to be as cheap as inhumanly possible, but I'm not convinced that other ISPs "free issue" routers are much better.   

You might want to phone up retentions, tell them you're cancelling because of the crap router unless they can offer a solution.  I suggest you refuse further fault finding - they're never going to make the Hub 3 a good router.  They might offer you the VM wifi extenders to improve coverage (which won't fix your problem), but I suggest you hold out for a one off discount to offset the cost of buying your own router or mesh.  Obviously this depends whether you've already negotiated a discount to VM's exorbitant standard rates, who you speak to, what the management policy of the day is, etc.  If you get £150 for an Asus RT-AC86U or 3-pack TP Link Deco M5 I'll be very surprised, but if you're on VM's standard rate then you should be able to get £5-7 a month off for 14-18 months (although they'd probably give you that for saying you're leaving, regardless of the shabby Hub 3).

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Try both radios on, separate SSID's= CHECK WHAT SSID devices are connecting to...

If that doesn't work, same combo but change DNS settings.

If that doesn't work, likely a bum HUB.

I mean its not great, thats a given, but it should work. In fact HUB3 has been LESS hassle for me than others, Ive a fairly complicated LAN side setup, but everything just works.

Not heaping praise on it- its a get you going device. But ATM Ive 18 devices connected over wired and wireless, including NAS, network printers and a clatter of tablets and phones, but its still tickety boo. TBF Id expect issues if 2.4 is off, simply because its the fallback when 5Ghz is congested or unavailable.

Id also be casting a suspicious eye over network cables. HUB3 likes CAT6 cables, 5E SHOULD be sufficient but experience says otherwise. My guess is the crosstalk on 5E is an issue to HUB3 as its more sensitive than previous versions. Snowflake HUB.......

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped