cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

incorrect provider

darrenbbrown
Joining in

FpUSUe5WYAAjZZU.jpghttps://twitter.com/CRISPdotTV/status/1626675068804685843 this thread has some details.

basically my internet provider is showing as BT and my speeds barely reach 40mbps

twitter person asked me to post my problem on here.

21 REPLIES 21

Client62
Hero

twitter & twitch ... garbage in garbage out !

Check the WiFi service reported on your device.

As you have a BT internet connection at the property that is what you are connected to via 802.11n 2.4Ghz WiFi hence the 40Mb/s speed.

Incorrect

I am connected to my VM router via WiFi on my phone and Ethernet on my PC

Both reporting as BT

For VM there should only be an IPv4 IP and the ISP : "Virgin Media" - there should not be an IPv6 shown.

Check the public IP reported match that of your VM Hub.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

it tells me my isp is BT and i have  both a v4 and v6 address.  It thinks i'm in London but im in Newcastle

An IPv6 is super suspicious for a VM connection - we don't expect to see IPv6 unless some kind of VPN is involved.

Does the public IP reported match that of your VM Hub ?

i am unable to access my VM hub for details but i'm almost certain it does not match.  previous tests before this all happened would show a recognisably different IP

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @darrenbbrown 

You should be able to access your VM hub by logging into 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) and entering the default wifi network name shown on the left hand side of the printed sticker on the base of the hub 5, and the settings password  which is shown on the right hand side of the printed sticker.

Once logged into the VM hub 5 click on Admin > Info - in the WAN IP Settings section you will see the IPv4 address address displayed.

This should match the one listed when you visit https://whatismyipaddress.com/ 

If it doesn't then you are either using a VPN (you might have one that you don't know about that was automatically installed via a browser or anti virus program) or you are not  connecting via  your VM hub5, but via some other device such as wifi extender that's linked to a different network, or an actual BT hub or BT wifi hotspot.

Looking at the twitter link you posted, the screenshot  shows a speedtest was performed using your dual sim Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G (SM G998B) on a BT mobile sim card via the Ilkley (Yorkshire) server 

The second picture from your twitter link does show that you are connected to a VM network, however that was not the case when you performed the Ookla speed test, otherwise the speed test would have shown the VM connection.

If you go into the settings on the ookla app you can see the results of your speedtest, and they will denote if they performed on 4G/5G or wifi  and also which IP address was used when the test was run, which will determine if it was run on a VM or BT connection.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

i am unable to log into my router, it times out every time i go to 192.168.0.1

I do not have a VPN installed or within my browser (I have treble checked this)

I am not on a BT mobile sim, I am on o2 and giffgaff (basically o2)

The mobile test ran on wifi connected to my VM hub yet the IP address is located down south and belongs to BT

as you can imagine, this is a baffling problem to have.

essentially it seems i am connected to BT via my VM hub

Look at the devices network settings - what DNS and Gateway IP addresses is it using ?

Get the DNS & Gateway IPs  and plug it into   https://www.nslookup.io/   what is returned ?

E.g. 8,8,8,8 returns dns.google