cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Wifi Internet problems with Hub 3

Jobie
Tuning in

I have having daily intermittent problems with my two Apple iPhones with Wifi internet and my Virgin Media Hub 3, which is rendering my home Wifi to be pretty much useless.   

The devices appear to connect to my Wifi but internet doesn’t work.  Sometimes on the iPhone WiFi settings it will say “No Internet Connection”, but not always.  However there will be no internet connection on the iPhones regardless.  

I have a wired PC, two laptops and an Android device on WiFi, and also a smart TV on the WiFi and these ALL work perfectly – the problem only appears to be with the iPhones.  (I have an old iPad Air 2 and this works fine also).

My two devices are an iPhone 11 and an iPhone SE.  Both will connect to the internet on WiFi networks outside the house (eg. My workplace) and work without any problems whatsoever.

If I do a “forget this network” and rejoin, sometimes the device will reconnect, but to be honest it is driving us crazy as my home WiFi is effectively useless and is constantly eating up mobile data. 

Doing a power off/on will sometimes resolve the problem but it is guaranteed the problem will occur again within a few hours, if not sooner.

I have tried – pin Resets, splitting the wifi Bandwidths to separate SSIDs. Static IPs, all to no avail.  I have had a Virgin engineer visit and of course his basic diagnostics found no problems.

I am at the end of my tether with this.  Is anybody able to advise?  Thanks in advance.

75 REPLIES 75

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Did you do what I asked in message18? what was the data?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi John

Apologies it has taken a week to respond.  I have been trying things to resolve this problem.

My devices are all 192.168.0.xx   Last Sunday, all my other devices (android, PC, laptops) had IPs of .31 to .36  (I have two NAS drives and a CCTV DVR on static IPs out of that range.)

The iPhone SE had IP  .52             

The iPhone iPhone 11 had IP.113               the “Hub Connected Devices” was showing  IP .61

(I did a “reset network settings” on the iPhone 11 and re-connected to wifi, but it:was still .113)

I tried setting a static IP on the iPhone 11 as .61 but had no effect.

So last Sunday, my iPhone SE connected all day to my wifi with no problems (ip .52 showing on both iPhone and on Hub).

On Monday I returned home from work. My SE had no wifi internet...  Ip on hub was .52, ip on iPhone was .101.   I did a “forget this network” on my iPhone and reconnect, and it reconnected, with an ip of .52   The same thing happened each day this week… on returning from work I had to “forget this network” at least once, sometimes several times, in order to get connected.  On Friday, I couldn’t get my SE connected at all, it stuck with a .103 on the iPhone regardless of my “forget this network” (on connected devices on the hub it showed as .52)

On Saturday morning, the SE finally connected – forget network settings and reconnect a few times, it eventually gave it a .62 ip address.  It now has an ip address of .62 and is working for the time being.

The iPhone 11 has struggled to connect at all this week.  During the week I visited two neighbours on my road with Virgin internet and the iPhone 11 connected to their wifi instantly, as you would expect. .  The iPhone 11 has been stuck with a .113 ip address (on hub connected devices it shows as IP .63 or similar – or doesn’t appear at all).  Resetting network settings on the iPhone didn’t resolve it. Neither does reboots of the hub.  Finally, on Friday, I got the iPhone 11 connected by forgetting network settings and readding my wifi a number of times, and by some miracle it worked, it now has an ip address of .61

I’m guessing that when the iPhones are disconnected from my Wifi for a period of time, then there will be the usual problems getting them connected again.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Jobie,

Thanks for the update.

I have looked on our system, I can see that one device is having connection issues, which could be your mobile phone.

Is the iPhone up to date on its updates? Have you tried doing a pinhole reset? This can eliminate any small errors also.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

If it helps...

What did 'fix' the issue was disabling the child safe lock on my virgin account. For some reason, this being enabled prevented any website from loading on my iPhone, not just the 'unsafe' ones.

There are two iphones in the house - an iphone SE and an iphone 11.   Both are bang up to date, and have had network settings resets done a dozen times.

Both of these have no problems connecting to any other wifi internet.  Two neighbours have virgin internet and both iphones connect instantly to these.  My SE travels to work with me every day and connects to work internet with no problems.  I can go anywhere and connect to any other wifi internet.  It is just my home wifi.

As i write this, my SE is connected to my virgin Wifi but with no internet connection .- my iPhone tells me it has an IP of 192.168.0.103, my virgin hub DHCP is telling me the iphone has been given 192.168.0.62.  So obviously this is why it isn't working.

I have done pinhole reset numerous times on the hub also.  

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can you not go into the iPhone's Wifi settings and scroll to Configure IP Address, then click on Manual, then set the iPhone to an ip address of something like 192.168.0.32 ? Restart it and See if that works.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi @Jobie, sorry that this is still ongoing for you. Please try the steps jbrennand suggested above and let us know if this has worked for you. Have you spoken to Apple at all about this issue? If so, what was advised? 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Why do people automaticaly say its an IOS fault?
This happend on my Iphone X. I cant remmber how it was solved.
But it is a Vigin Media problem and its something you can change in the hub
I had my Hub replaced the other day. Had my Iphone 13  since Sept Last year. 
Guess what.. The problem is back.
The only thing that has changed in the past 4 years is the Hub.
Stop chatting Ship and put the solution.
At the moment, I just turn off wifi on the phone when browsing. 
be asaking for compensation 

This happend on my new Iphone X. I cant remmber how it was solved.
it is a Vigin Media problem.
I had my Hub replaced the other day. Had Iphone 13  since Sept Last year. 
Guess what.. The problem is back.
The only thing that has changed in the past 4 years is the Hub.

At the moment, I just turn off wifi on the phone when browsing.