cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone Wifi Internet problems with Hub 3

Jobie
Tuning in

I have having daily intermittent problems with my two Apple iPhones with Wifi internet and my Virgin Media Hub 3, which is rendering my home Wifi to be pretty much useless.   

The devices appear to connect to my Wifi but internet doesn’t work.  Sometimes on the iPhone WiFi settings it will say “No Internet Connection”, but not always.  However there will be no internet connection on the iPhones regardless.  

I have a wired PC, two laptops and an Android device on WiFi, and also a smart TV on the WiFi and these ALL work perfectly – the problem only appears to be with the iPhones.  (I have an old iPad Air 2 and this works fine also).

My two devices are an iPhone 11 and an iPhone SE.  Both will connect to the internet on WiFi networks outside the house (eg. My workplace) and work without any problems whatsoever.

If I do a “forget this network” and rejoin, sometimes the device will reconnect, but to be honest it is driving us crazy as my home WiFi is effectively useless and is constantly eating up mobile data. 

Doing a power off/on will sometimes resolve the problem but it is guaranteed the problem will occur again within a few hours, if not sooner.

I have tried – pin Resets, splitting the wifi Bandwidths to separate SSIDs. Static IPs, all to no avail.  I have had a Virgin engineer visit and of course his basic diagnostics found no problems.

I am at the end of my tether with this.  Is anybody able to advise?  Thanks in advance.

75 REPLIES 75

Thanks I am awaiting a replacement hub.

Thank you for keeping us updated. Please let us know how the replacement hub goes.

^Martin

mglcastro
Joining in

Hi,

Not sure if you ever solved this but I started having the exact same issues you described the other day (hence finding this forum). Couldn’t work anything out and then I unplugged my TP Link Wi-Fi range extender and hey presto! The iPhone not only connects but actually functions on the Wi-Fi again. Not sure if you too have some kind of Wi-Fi range extender in the house but try turning that off to see if it solves the issue.

Gr8manc
On our wavelength

Just wanted to say for anyone else having the same issue as mine and got all this way thinking never going to get it fixed. Well thanks to mglcastros post I too had a TP Link wifi extender plugged in and since seeing that post turned it off. It’s now been a week and my issues of no internet on our iPhones no longer exists. Whilst it may not be the answer for everyone it was a quick win for me. Just have to figure out now what I can use to extend the wifi that won’t give the same problems.

halltony
On our wavelength

+1 on the TP Link WiFi extender. Perhaps this doesn’t play nice with Hub 3s?

I ended up buying another Internet access point which improved things alongside the WiFi extender. 

I’d be interested to know if anyone has recommendations on compatible WiFi extenders instead of the TP Link ones. 

Client62
Hero

Could it be the TP-LINK Powerline extender connected to the Hub has failed, leaving the second TP-Link unit broadcasting a Wi-Fi signal but without an internet link back to the VM Hub. 

Symptoms would be a mobile / laptop connects but then there is not internet available.