cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i-radio is unavailable on cocktail audio

Pickone
On our wavelength

Hi

Not used to doing this, but please, please can someone help. A week ago 'i-radio is unavailable suddenly appeared on my Cocktail audio unit. I have had problems in the past with it disappearing for periods of time (hours), but this is a first. I can get internet radio on my desktop and laptop (but the Cocktail gives worldwide access when I can get it). I have contacted Virgin who said there is no fault with the hub - 2ac - but I have noticed there are now 3 or 4 Sky IP that weren't there before. The network for the unit is wireless as the hub is upstairs and the unit down. Would a wi-fi-booster help I have e-mailed Cocktail 3 times but with no answer and I have done all I can think of. Sorry it's long winded. By the way I am rather old and not very techy. Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Devolo Magic 2 always get the best reviews and have power passthrough and 2 ethernet ports and are probably the best you can buy.

But they are more expensive even than a TP-Link Deco M4 or M5 Mesh system! Mesh can be trickier to install though although we could walk you through it.

There are lots of other PA options that might suit you well for less outlay but deffo get passthrough power and 2 ethernet ports - and obviously - get at least a pair

Also check the "orientation" of the plug in and the ethernet ports is right for you as some can point up or down and ethernet cables could be obstructed by something like skirting or floor boards etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Thanks for the feedback regarding our community @Pickone - When I am on other platforms I always recommend this site to fellow customers (which I am myself) I've always maintained that from a technical point of view this site could be your "best friend".  I cannot promote the wealth of knowledge and experience the community members have highly enough.

Regards

Lee

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Not familiar with Cocktail audio units. Can you give us more info on which model and how old it is - or a link to its tech specs might help.

Do you know whether it connects on the 2.4 and 5 GHz wifi bands or just on the 2.4 ones. If its just 2.4 and as you have noticed more SSID's appearing - you should try a wifi analyser App and see what channels are being used around you and move yours to one of numbers 1,6,11 that are in least use

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Pickone
On our wavelength

Hi,

Sorry but I thought I'd already answered this somewhere. It is both 2.4 and 5 GHz. Tried a wifi analyzer app but couldn't understand any of it.  It is a Cocktail X10 which is rather old and I can still access copied cds, playlist and recordings from radio.When it is showing that I can access i-radio (which isn't often now), I still get the i-radio is unavailable message. When I go to the Settings - Network - Wireless - it is now listing 9 or 10 IP addresses, the Sky ones being new and 3 of them being the same. Mine is listed, but won't access internet radio. Would a booster or other wifi adaptor help. I have looked at Cocktail forums but Firefox says it is not secure, but I think I may try this route anyway

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Does the Cocktail not have the facility to "forget this network" like iPhones do? so only your networks are "connectable". I am thinking that as you said the Hub is upstairs and the unit downstairs it is struggling for signal. In which case there are many options for sorting out the wifi (with booster being the least good of those!) depending on the size/layout./construction, how easy it is to run ethernet cables from the Hub to upstairs, the electrical ring mains circuits of the house( are they connected by going through the same fuse box/consumer unit?) and of course - how much you want to spend?

First though, what Hub Model is it Hub3/4 or a Superhub 1,2,2ac (printed on its base sticker).

--------------------
John
--------------------

Pickone
On our wavelength

Hi

It's a 2ac hub, should I request a more up to date one? I don't think the unit has 'forget this network' I've never seen it, and as I say, Cocktail won't answer me, but I will have another fiddle to see what I can find. This is only a 2 storey semi, but it would be impractical to run an ethernet cable from the hub to unit. I have now seen mention of a Powerline adaptor and wondered if that could be the answer. A relative is going to come later this week to try to help me out and I will show him your responses which will hopefully help.Thank you.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK - the 2ac broadcasts the networks separately and doesn't combine them into one "Smart Wifi" SSID - which can cause problems - so it isnt that 🙂  And the Hub3 doesn't really have better wifi capabilties - many even say it is worse - so stick with the 2ac and sort the wifi yourself.

Sound like it is just a wifi interference issue - powerline adapters are a good option (my lad uses a pair for his Gaming PC and console - and gets a great connection) but see my reply in message 4 of the thread below for the caveats!

But in principle it could connect to a pair of them via an ethernet cable - or is the Cocktail wifi connections only (does it have the RJ45 ethernet port)?

EDIT: Just Googled it and it has a 10/100 LAN ethernet port so would be best (most stable) to connect it via a short ethernet cable into the upstairs powerline adapter. If you get PA' s that have x2 LAN ports (ours do!) then you could also connect a Wireless Access Point to the other port to improve the wifi up there too

If not you can get PA's with wifi capability too - or just plug a separate wireless access point on an the ethernet cable into the upstairs PA port.

See....

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Additional-Router/m-p/4737140#M410922

--------------------
John
--------------------

Pickone
On our wavelength

Hi

Have decided that I will send for a PA, Devolo seem to be the best. I only have a desktop upstairs next to the hub, so there is no problem there. Would I need to have 2 - PA's, one from the hub and the other from the X10. Sorry, but as I said I am not very tech savvy, so I presume they would connect by ethernet cable to the PA plugged into a socket. What baffles me is why this happened suddenly. Hopefully my great nephew will now be able to sort this out sometime and I will let you know the result.

if you're gonna spend money on the devolo's you're not that far off spending the same amount on a decent entry-level wireless mesh system.. which will likely give you a better overall result than a set of power line adapters..

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Pickone wrote:

Hi

Have decided that I will send for a PA, Devolo seem to be the best. I only have a desktop upstairs next to the hub, so there is no problem there. Would I need to have 2 - PA's, one from the hub and the other from the X10. Sorry, but as I said I am not very tech savvy, so I presume they would connect by ethernet cable to the PA plugged into a socket. What baffles me is why this happened suddenly. Hopefully my great nephew will now be able to sort this out sometime and I will let you know the result.

For ease of use, the PLA may suit you better.  A pair will suffice and get passthrough ones if your budget allows.  That way you don't loose the power socket.  Also as John has said, two or more ethernet ports on the PLA's would be very useful as well.  They may be approaching the cost of a cheaper Mesh system, but are far easier to install and use.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Devolo Magic 2 always get the best reviews and have power passthrough and 2 ethernet ports and are probably the best you can buy.

But they are more expensive even than a TP-Link Deco M4 or M5 Mesh system! Mesh can be trickier to install though although we could walk you through it.

There are lots of other PA options that might suit you well for less outlay but deffo get passthrough power and 2 ethernet ports - and obviously - get at least a pair

Also check the "orientation" of the plug in and the ethernet ports is right for you as some can point up or down and ethernet cables could be obstructed by something like skirting or floor boards etc.

--------------------
John
--------------------