cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub5 IP address

DaddyLee00
Tuning in

For security reasons I NEED to change the hub5 default IP address 192.168.0.1 is so obvious and insecure for the internet-facing network gateway/entry point. Is this possible OR do I have to remove the hub from the equation ?

Please only respond with an answer to the question - a yes or no ; with reasons.

Advice on how accessible the default IP address is is NOT the question....

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Hero

Hubs operate in either Router mode or in Modem mode, each mode as a fixed IP for access to the menus.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

No. Private IP Address range is not directly addressable over  the internet.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

NOT the answer to my question.

I need to change the default IP address.

Any answers along the lines of "why do you want to" are NOT helpful

Thanks!

In older models of hub and firmware, it used to be possible to change the DHCP scope (only the third octet though) which would change the hub's LAN address to 192.168.x.1 (the hub is always, always .1). I believe though that that feature may have been taken away from the newer hubs and firmware.

Your best bet would be to put the hub into modem/bridge mode which simply means that it 'passes' a WAN IP address to your own third party firewall/router. With your own kit, you are free to set whatever LAN addresses and subnets you want. 

I was hoping that the default IP address could be changed - the Hub5 device is quite a good router. I would only look at using it in "modem only" mode as a last resort. A 3rd party device that matches it's performance would be quite expensive.

thanks very much for the response....

NOT the answer to my question ....

If the default IP is so bad for security reasons:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyBtMPqpNY

So yes to answer the question get your own router
---------------------------------------------------------------