cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub3 modem mode

derek765
Dialled in

Hi

Bought a wifi6 router (TPLink AX50) to connect to Hub3. Put hub3 into modem mode, new router attached with cable on port1. Solid red (99% sure it was red rather than magenta) on hub.
Connected laptop instead on port1but cant connect to 192.168.100.1 to see if theres a useful error message.
Ended up with factory reset which was a real PITA as 192.168.0.1 was being redirected to 192.168.1.1 (the new switched off router I guess) & wasn't until I factory reset with laptop plugged in that I could do anything.

Any thoughts & ideas welcomed.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the light stays red when you switch the Hub back to router mode then the Hub needs replacing.

If it turns to normal white (or pinkish!) then its probably just the dodgy LED issue rather than indicating overheating - try it and see.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Try setting it up again in this sequence

Switch on and set up your own router/Mesh unit (in its settings) with the WAN port set to be in Automatic IP i.e. DHCP (& Nat) mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway. Then, disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and switch it off and unplug it.

Then, put the VM Hub into modem mode

( https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ) and wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).

Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub “MUST” then be powered off.

Switch your router on and make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 5 min) and then put in the ethernet cable from its WAN port to the VM hub (any port will do).

NOW… power up the VM hub and wait 5-10 minutes for The Hub to initialise and and you should get a connection. Use the recommended App to connect any other Mesh units to the first one. This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for the reply, I'll give that a try next !

A couple of thoughts. In modem mode Hub3 light never goes purple, just red. Also two green lights, telephony and I guess internet (arrows). Logging into the hub it states internet is connected. However the only was I can log into the hub is setting a static in the same range as hub - ie 192.168.100.x- this doesn't sound right. And no onward internet  Default gw was set to hub.

Bizarrely ONCE it seemed to work in modem mode.First time this morning I tried it - connect to hub with cable, login, change to modem mode, hub reboots, connect to 192.168.100.1 no worries. There may have been a powercycle I cant remember. And there was onward access, but spped seemed low so I flipped back to router mode to check ... and it broke again lol

Whilst the light is supposed to be magenta in modem mode they often look more like red.

ours does.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @derek765

Welcome to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding connecting your new router to your Hub 3. Just to confirm for you, the light should be magenta coloured when the Hub 3 is in Modem Mode. However, it can often look like a red light. Have you been able toconnect your new router successfully now?

Best wishes,

Serena

Hi

It is very definitely a red light, but I did manage to get connected by pretending it wasn't !  Powering off and waiting a few minutes appears to be an essential part of the process. Much better support here from the community than from Virgin Service Desk

Regards

D

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the light stays red when you switch the Hub back to router mode then the Hub needs replacing.

If it turns to normal white (or pinkish!) then its probably just the dodgy LED issue rather than indicating overheating - try it and see.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I know it went to a light blueish flashing one part way through the reboot, possibly light blueish solid but ended up red. I'll try back in router mode when I get a chance though - don't hold your breath as now it's working in modem mode I'm loathe to change it back !

Of course the knock ons to all this were my older laptops don't recognise wifi6 so had to hunt down updates for discontinued drivers, and the ports on the new router are negotiating down to 100 so needed to replace a couple of older cat 5e cables !