cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub 5- cannot connect the tv via WIFI

Davebreckie
On our wavelength

We have had the new hub 5 for a few months now and we have a problem.

We have a Samsung q6 series tv, 5 years old which is in perfect condition.

But since being upgraded to hub 5 we can no longer connect the tv via WIFI, instead we have to use an ethernet cable which I do not want to. and because my tv is hooked up this way the only way to use my soundbar without cables is by bluetooth. I would like this all put right but have found no solution at all.

14 REPLIES 14

people have actually mentioned that on other posts the same as mine but I don't want to buy a router and have yet another piece of electrical equipment to plug in. But thanks for the suggestion.

Hi @Davebreckie thanks for your reply here.

You should still be able to connect to the Hub 5 though using other equipment, so it does sound like a third party issue with the cause being the TV unfortunately.

I would advise reaching out to Samsung directly, to see if their product can connect to WiFi 6 and if they're aware of any workarounds here.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi Tom,

Since I last spoke on here I have actually taken my TV to a neighbours and tested it out there and everything works fine, no connection problems at all.

So I now know the TV is functioning fully. the neighbour does not have a hub 5 and as I said this has only happened since getting the hub 5

Hi Davebreckie, 

Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know. It's great that the TV is working with another hub however this doesn't show us whether your TV is compatible with WiFi 6. 

I would still recommend contacting your manufacturer to check on this as if it's not then we can look at switching you back to a Hub 3 or 4 instead. To do this you would need to speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 for them to do this for you. 

Keep us posted on how things go. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Davebreckie 

The hub 5 is backwards compatable with wifi 5 etc so the TV should be able to connect.

Having said that though, some of the older Samungs only connect on the 2.4Ghz band. 

If it's one of those and  can't see the 2.4Ghz band because the hub 5 only appears to be transmitting one band it may be confused.

I  would try temporarily turning off the 5Ghz band and connect the Samsung again. Once it's latched onto the signal you can re-enable the 5Ghz band on the hub.

Also, have you set up the Guest network on your hub 5 and tried to connect the Samsung TV to that?

Does your Samsung TV have the option to connect using WPS?

Also, have you tried to Disable Channel Optimization on the hub 5?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali