cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub 3 5ghz and 2.4ghz

james1947
On our wavelength

ok just got new hub 3 changed every thing over to the new hub, problem with my smart plugs cant connect to the new hub is it ok to turn off 5ghz and set them up on 2.4ghz then turn  5ghz back on after i have connected the plugs 

29 REPLIES 29

Hi John

I can't thank you enough for your post referring to re-setting the Hub3 in order that 2.4 nd 5 GHz WiFi can be split - thereby enabling 'smart devices' to access 2.4 GHz, etc. It took me a while, today, to identify the problem with my 'out of the box' Hub3, but after a good few hours things seem to be back upand running as before (before the Superhub2 WiFi function died, that is).

As for the nerds at Virgin Media - why the (use your imagination!) can't they understand what most Virgin customers are seeking - a fast, reliable and user friendly service. The emphasis being on the latter, in this day and age. Since the Superhub2 produced separate SSID's for 2.4 & 5 GHz by default, why doesn't the Hub3 come with this setting, as standard?? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stonkin16 wrote:

Hi John

I can't thank you enough for your post referring to re-setting the Hub3 in order that 2.4 nd 5 GHz WiFi can be split...

....Since the Superhub2 produced separate SSID's for 2.4 & 5 GHz by default, why doesn't the Hub3 come with this setting, as standard?? 

No probs glad its working.  It is actually a good idea in that it should ensure that a device roams seamlessly between the two frequency bands as the (faster) 5GHz one has a shorter range - so as you move away (say with your phone) and out of range the 2.4 band should still be available and the device should just switch to the other frequency.

However, in practice it doesnt seem to work seamlessly with all devices on all wifi environments with the Hub3 😬

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks - just one addition I did not need to reset the hub to logon to my new 5GHz
lumatrix

@Rojo1234 wrote:

Hi

I’m afraid this method just doesn't work on my Hub 3.0

I attwmpt to apply changes to alter the 2.4G name, or name and password,

But the router won’t let me keep my same password for 5G.

I really do not want to change the password in every single internet device in the house... 

Any idea how to split the signal without changing the password to 5G?

many thanks

rojo1234

Follow these instructions ...

Advanced Settings > Wireless Signal > click ‘Disable Channel Optimization’ > Click ‘Apply Changes’.

Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security > Add 2 to the 2.4GHz Chanel name > Add 5 to the 5 GHz Chanel name > Click ‘Apply Changes’

You can leave the passwords the same as they are.

Log out of the Hub.

You will need to reconnect all you WiFi devices some will want to connect to 5Ghz and some to 2.4GHz and some will connect to either.

2.4GHz is a stronger signal but slower than 5GHz so if you have problems on 5GHz change to 2.4GHz.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Hi everyone, 

Thanks for all of this.  It's been really helpful.  I tried this system and it has worked for the most part except when I try to connect to the 2.4ghz network I can't get a message saying 'no ip address'.  I tried rebooting the router and I tried assigning a static IP address (something I saw online), but no joy. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Patrick

Hi. I was going to start a new thread, but this one seems to be covering a similar theme (though I might still start a new one - as old threads often don't get replies)

I have a 5ghz internet signal (from a Hub3). I was wondering if there was any way to change this to the lower frequency in order to try and extend my signal (as since switching to 5ghz - and the Virgin engineer stupidly moving my hub) I have poor signal in all but the living room.

As I understand the higher frequency of 5ghz has a poorer range than the lower frequency.

(this would also be why antennas of the super high frequencies of the brain frying 5g that's being forced onto us all have to be installed on literally every lamppost. In short the higher the frequency  = the shorter the range).

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Just follow Mikes instructions in message 14.
The 2 bands will then have their own SSID's and show up separately on your devices lists of available networks. Then just select and connect to whichever band you want to use on each device.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

I have just done this as my bluetooth galaxy buds are slowing down my 2.4ghz connection. I have followed all ths steps and still the 5ghz isnt showing up as a seperate network so I cannot connect to it (im sat next to router).

@TobyHughes19 wrote:

If you want assistance please start your own thread.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.

Thanks for the instructions on seperating the two signals. Ive managed to do this for the purpose of setting up some smartbulbs.

My question is , after the smart devices have been set up, do i then go back into the router settings and re-enable the ‘Channel Optimization’? ? Or would that undo what has been done?