cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hub 3 5ghz and 2.4ghz

james1947
On our wavelength

ok just got new hub 3 changed every thing over to the new hub, problem with my smart plugs cant connect to the new hub is it ok to turn off 5ghz and set them up on 2.4ghz then turn  5ghz back on after i have connected the plugs 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it) and in "smart wifi" disable "channel optimisation" - save changes. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

You need to give each band their own SSID, otherwise devices may try to reconnect to the other band following any interruption. Plenty of idiots guides on how to do it on the forum if you use the search function. Not checked but Youtube may even have a video?

If you do "bugger it up" just do a 30 second pin hole factory reset and start again after the hub has automatically downloaded the latest software.

Good luck

29 REPLIES 29

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You would be better separating the two bands by changing the name of one to allow you to explicitly connect to either band.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

james1947
On our wavelength

i read that before but im not that tech minded so im looking for a simple  salutation  

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Ernie_C's solution is the correct one. 

If you know how to turn the WiFi on/off then you can change the names. It's the same menu.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it) and in "smart wifi" disable "channel optimisation" - save changes. Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's. Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password if you like, Then, save/apply settings and restart the Hub. Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device. 5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

You need to give each band their own SSID, otherwise devices may try to reconnect to the other band following any interruption. Plenty of idiots guides on how to do it on the forum if you use the search function. Not checked but Youtube may even have a video?

ok thanks, but knowing me i will probably bugger it up but will have a look on you tube, and copy and paste your answer and keep it  

If you do "bugger it up" just do a 30 second pin hole factory reset and start again after the hub has automatically downloaded the latest software.

Good luck

james1947
On our wavelength

ok thanks for all your help from every one of you will try this someday next week 

Hi

I’m afraid this method just doesn't work on my Hub 3.0

I attwmpt to apply changes to alter the 2.4G name, or name and password,

But the router won’t let me keep my same password for 5G.

I really do not want to change the password in every single internet device in the house... 

Any idea how to split the signal without changing the password to 5G?

many thanks

rojo1234