cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

gigabit broadband

angelastinson
On our wavelength

hi im upgrading to gigabit internet but see you can only receive about 950mb because of the gigabit Ethernet ports, is there anyway to receive the full amount?

78 REPLIES 78

Yes, Asus is going back, will just plug the 2.5g ethernet from the hub 5 into a 2.5g unmanaged switch when it arrives.

I thought as yet the hub 5 wasn’t being sent out to 1gb subscribers 

Well I just got an email this evening for a free upgrade to a hub 5 and Im a 1gig subber, thats all i know

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stobbsy74 

Did you actually receive a Hub5?  Just asking as you are on 1GB so that would be unusual

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand wrote:

@Stobbsy74 

Did you actually receive a Hub5?  Just asking as you are on 1GB so that would be unusual

I've "ordered" one, but if it comes is another matter.....supposed to come on the 30th, but had no email yet confirming off virgin media. If its one area Virgin need to improve its their communication and lack of it with customers. It causes customers anxiety if they have no clue whats happening or if its going to come on the day. 2 or 3 weeks ago I got a Hub 4, and from 07.00 to 18.00 no communication from the delivery company, and at 18.00 got a text saying on it way. Arrived at 20.30. Spent 13 hours waiting for it, unable to go anywhere cause not know when arriving.

Its like now, Im going to have to take day off work on 30th, but still no clue if its even coming, but with the company I work for I have to book a day off at least a week in advance.

One of my advertisement banners on my account home page is now order a new hub 5 all the time.

hub5banner.jpg

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Cheers... keep us posted if it actually arrives and how its performing - particularly the wifi6 aspect.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

Yes, Asus is going back, will just plug the 2.5g ethernet from the hub 5 into a 2.5g unmanaged switch when it arrives.

And the rest of the unmanaged switch will most likely be 1GB so you will need still need to bond a couple of ethernet ports to whatever device you intend to supply 1.3GB to ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

@Adduxi wrote:

@Stobbsy74 wrote:

And the rest of the unmanaged switch will most likely be 1GB so you will need still need to bond a couple of ethernet ports to whatever device you intend to supply 1.3GB to ?

I have a 5 port 2.5g unmanaged switch (TL-SG105 - M2}, so 1 with be from my hub, 2nd to my Wifi6E laptop that has a 2.5g ethernet port. Another probably to my desktop that I have upstairs, just need a PCI-E card with 2.5g ethernet, which is relatively cheap and possibly 1 to a NAS if and when I choose to upgrade my current 13 year old one.

Every other device including Xbox Series X and PS5 have a 1gig ethernet port so wont benefit from the 2.5g port so Ill just plug them into the 1g ports on the router. The PS5 is Wifi6, so it might be worth seeing if I can get an increase of speed over wifi as opposed to ethernet when downloading games.

@jbrennand wrote:
Cheers... keep us posted if it actually arrives and how its performing - particularly the wifi6 aspect.

Might do a Wifi signal strength analysis (with wifi analysis app) at my Blackspot area of home with hub4 and hub5 and see how they compare coverage wise.

angelastinson
On our wavelength