Menu
norden
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

gateway address

should your gateway address be the same as your external IP address on devices connected to router

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: gateway address

Your superhub will have TWO IP addresses. It will have a public address (that faces the Internet) like 86.22.xxx.xxx and an internal address that faces into your home network (probably 192.168.0.1).

Your devices ( PC, tablet, phone, TV, etc) will have an address that starts 192.168.0 and the default gateway will be the LAN address of the router (192.168.0.1). 

If you try to give it the external address (86.22.xxx.xxx), you will not be able to connect to the Internet. 

I am assuming that you are using the router in router mode with the above example.

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

norden wrote:

should your gateway address be the same as your external IP address on devices connected to router

Technically you could make that work but NAT is NAT so it does nothing to help you.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@norden

Argy explained it nicely - the default Gateway is the LAN address of your router - usually 192.168.0.1.  Note as well the subnet mask if needed will be 255.255.255.0

Essentially any traffic destined for the internet will be passed to the routers LAN and then the router will transfer the packets to the Internet facing adapter and send it on it's way.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
norden
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

my problem is I have DVR on the router which I can see using software on pc  internal using internal ip address but not external using external IP

I have set up router for port forwarding on 80 which is the HTTP port for DVR but it will not connected.

I have Virgin Media Super Hub 2ac  router

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So you are trying to access your DVR from outside your property?
Can you provide detail of make/model, in case there are any known issues?

Just another VM user trying to help, so no guarantees that my advice will work .
If my suggestion is helpful, please mark it as helpful; it may help others. Just want to say "Thanks"? That's the Kudos button.
0 Kudos
legacy1
Hero
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

norden wrote:

my problem is I have DVR on the router which I can see using software on pc  internal using internal ip address but not external using external IP

If the DVR was not designed to be accessed over the internet then its likely not good to try and do that.

Their are ways you can do this you can use a VPN or with a high end router make a virtual interface to NAT packets from the internet to the DVR and route the source to be the virtual interface none of the super hubs/ hub do this and their are problems with doing it like that on a big scale.

0 Kudos
norden
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

DVR   is a W Box. My friend has setup same model on a different router and can get external access to DVR so a know the DVR can be access external

0 Kudos
Argy
Rising star
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK.

If I've read the PDF correctly http://wboxtech.com/docs/Configure-DDNS-Settings.pdf then you need more than just port 80 (also uses ports 443,554, 8000)

Have you followed the PDF? 

DHCP enabled on the superhub

UPnP enabled on the superhub

On the DVR menu, Menu-Configuration-Network-General/NA, select  DHCP  and UPnP boxes.

If this has now communicated correctly, the UPnP status boxes should show active.

Now you can go to Menu-Configuration-Network-DDNS and enable the DDNS. Select simple DDNS, input the device name then Apply.

The DVR should now register correctly with the DDNS server, and you should be able to access it via www.simpleddns.com/devicename