cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

flapping broadband and 150 is closed !!!

ninjagranny
Dialled in

Lost connection  about 7 times this week  once for over an houjr  although that one did show as a fault  - i know there is work going on in the rea but i have had to use my backup broadband to  work . Tried to call faults on 150  and it is closed ......  its only 10 pm  and when did it stop being open  when we need to call it . 

naturally the automated  service saus no issues  and tht i need to book an engineer slot ...  which is mad  but normal . 

also  i still haven't received my  emergency backup  phone connection device for when we swap to voip .

currently i still have  my landline thank god and running on  an adsl as the virgin conenction is floppy - woudl have been good to be able to get some support - i am actually missing waiting on the phone for an hour  - at least it was then sorted  

_____
M350 with SH 3 in modem mode with an Asus RT N66U onto a Netgear GS734T
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@ninjagranny firstly it isn’t actually VoIP, it is often called that, but what VM are doing in terms of connecting the phone into the hub and ‘piggy-backing’ onto the BB connection is, strictly speaking not VoIP.

I would, on that basis, suspect that no, your phone line probably will not work on both providers - look just forget what customer service might or might not tell tell you about such things, frankly, if it isn’t an option on their scripts then their knee-jerk reaction is to lie make something up to reassure the customer and get them off the phone - sorry but this does appear to be the case!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ninjagranny,

Thank you for your post and welcome back to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am so sorry to hear you've been facing some issues with your broadband connection recently. I'm afraid that technical support aren't available after 9pm on a Wednesday, which is why you wouldn't have been able to reach them then.

I've also noticed you stating that you're waiting on an EBUL (Emergency Back-Up Line) for when your landline switches over to begin running through your broadband router. If you're eligible then you can get an EBUL before this happens as it works on both landline types. You'll just need the necessary adapter which will be provided to you before the switchover happens.

If you're still having broadband issues or concerns with the landline switchover, let us know. We'll be happy to investigate and assist further.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Been on with CS and they say cant get EDUL  until after im forced over to voip 😞

How to we get tech support on a wednesday then - the app said my line was up and it wasnt for about 2 hours ( 0.1 up and 0.1 down) - it "seems" all the flapping and loss of service is due to the  changes for  voip

Also been told that even though they said i could use the voip on my broadbands im now being told that maybe i cant  -  i have  2 lines ( virgin primary and  nowtv adsl secondary) coming in to my router which i have set to hot swap over once ping fails or speed is below   meg up or down  , so i get  decent connection  at all times  - it onlyh swaps forward and back  3 or 4 times a day but in general we dont notice it as its stateful - i have bought a rj45 to  bt connecter for my main router to plug the fax and phone into  ( and yes i  still have to be able to use a fax for medical reports - now being told  virgin wont support them anymore...)

So yes i am Very worried about the swap to  voip as as far as i can see im going to be screwed when the virgin line fails and i have a medical emergency or need to send reports to  doctors  ( mobile reception is poor indoors and unusabe;)

_____

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ninjagranny

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I do apologise for the inconvenience, with installing the EBUL as you're being changed over to VoIP very soon our team wouldn't be able to send the EBUL out until the conversion is completed. 

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

ok  so ill get the ebul eventually - 

can you confirm that my phone line will  work  on MY router on both my  broadbands ? and that the voip osnt  virgin specific -  I   have been told this on CS quite a few times but the more i read it seems that the voip requires being put ion the virgin box and isnt  true voip .  This is really improtant  as I am lost without a landline and in danger 

_____

@ninjagranny firstly it isn’t actually VoIP, it is often called that, but what VM are doing in terms of connecting the phone into the hub and ‘piggy-backing’ onto the BB connection is, strictly speaking not VoIP.

I would, on that basis, suspect that no, your phone line probably will not work on both providers - look just forget what customer service might or might not tell tell you about such things, frankly, if it isn’t an option on their scripts then their knee-jerk reaction is to lie make something up to reassure the customer and get them off the phone - sorry but this does appear to be the case!

I suspected they were "not telling the truth"  so my only real option i think is to transfer my line to a full voip and ditch the virgin line

_____