cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fire damage - no WiFi

entschwindet
Joining in

Due to (we presume) a fire on our street a number of properties have been without wifi since Monday 5th July. 
The problem was reported, but there seem to be big problems with the way the fault gets recorded.
On a number of occasions the status shows that there is a problem and an engineer is on the way, but at least four times the fault has been marked as fixed, when it clearly wasn't. Furthermore, the estimated time of fixing continually moves backwards. I (and my neighbours, separately) have called up a number of times, and engineers have been booked, only to be cancelled automatically a few hours later. 
Calling up the helpline, and people are extremely helpful, but don't see much more information than we do, and it just seems incredibly lacking in joined up communication, and extremely frustrating when the information is continually altered and we keep being told things are fixed when they aren't…
I've just had a chat with the person running your Twitter account who suggested I write a post here.

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

5 REPLIES 5

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Just by means of terminology, it's not your WiFi that's failed, but presumably your broadband.... your router converts the broadband into wired & wireless connections 🙂

If there is genuinely an area fault, I'd expect it to be listed on the local status line. 0800 5610061 should list any service-affecting fault on TV, phone or broadband in your street/postcode. Is anything reported?

If not, then for all practical purposes, there either isn't a known fault or it's not been logged correctly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

thanks for your response, indeed, it's the broadband that is out.

A quick check of the local status has no current recorded faults – however over the last week and a half the status has on a number of occasions said there WAS a local fault. I suspect that when various advisors have booked an engineer for the property, this has been overridden as a local fault, which is then marked fixed, bringing us (and a few of our neighbours) back to square one.

Hi @entschwindet,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you have been experiencing ongoing loss of service since the fire. We can also understand the frustration of receiving mixed messages about the fault. I have been able to access your account via forum details.

I can see you have recently been in contact with our team regarding this and also have an upcoming engineer appointment. Is there anything else you need help with?

Please get back to us when you can.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for your response, although it reads a little like a "please leave us alone" message to be honest.

Yes, there is more that we can be helped with.

Can we be sure an engineer is coming? We've had an engineer appointment cancelled I think three times in the last week, so I have no confidence this isn't going to happen again.
Why has the fault been marked as fixed on a number of occasions (at least four, I think)? Who made that decision? I can only conclude someone just didn't want to deal with it so checked from their desk and marked it as 'done', because there's no other explanation, given the problem has persisted.
Is there no way of connecting the various different calls from neighbours? I personally heard today that an engineer has been out to a neighbour, has informed them that, yes, the fire has destroyed a cable on the roof of the terrace, and that even after a temporary patch the whole thing needs redone. Surely the advisors I've spoken to should have been able to see this important information?

I mean, imagine Virgin Media were a builder. You've not turned up a number of times, you've said work was complete when it hasn't even been looked at, frankly, you'd have been kicked off site and replaced by now, so I need some confidence that this is getting done!

I do appreciate everyone trying to be helpful, but nobody seems to be able to see any of the pertinent information that could have got this sorted at least a week ago now…

Thank you for your response @entschwindet.

We can understand why you feel this way due to your experience.

Regarding your appointment, from looking into your account, it seems the prior appointments were cancelled due to there being a local issue in the area that our teams were trying to resolve. The appointments were cancelled as they had hoped resolving the  local issue would also resolve your issue. However this was not the case for which we further apologise.

I can confirm that your upcoming appointment is ongoing and you can check for updates on your appointment in your my VM media account under your "My Orders tab".

In regards to the the fault, it may have been a complex issue hence the back and forth regarding it's resolution. Looking into your account, the local issue has indeed been resolved. 

In this case, please let me know how the appointment goes and if you need any further help after and we will do our best to assist.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs