Menu
psm492
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 43
Flag for a moderator

experiencing really bad intermittent connection (wired + wireless)

Hi

• for the past ~2 months i've been having intermittent wifi issues randomly throughout the day (morning, afternoon, evening)
  • i've reset the router multiple times, to no success
  • tried wired connection, to no success
  • the network service status in my area says there aren't any known issues
    • even though the many times i've called over the phone they've told me there has been an ongoing outage that hasn't been fixed and the resolution keeps getting pushed every month
  • happens on all different devices, android, iPhone, mac & windows computer.
  • the hub (4) lights are working as expected

Has someone else experienced this issue? or anybody could shed some light on how to fix?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Re: experiencing really bad intermittent connection (wired + wireless)

Try the “free & automated” Service Status number - 0800 561 0061

This usually gives the most up to date info. and tells you of more local issues down to postcode level. These may not be listed on the Area Status web page (as Areas are not “Geographic” they are billing areas) as that usually only covers faults affecting 1000’s of customers) so phone may give you more info, but even that wont cover problems affecting just a few customers.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
psm492
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Thanks John but I got the same reply as what the virgin status website says = no apparent issue.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Ok, but are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? You say "no success" - not sure if you mean they drop out as well.

Did they say what issue it was ? It might be an overutilisation issue which they are reluctant to admit too - they often have "fix estimates" that drag on month after month.

To see if that is likely, set up the BQM as below - it ought to be obvious once the data has accumulated.

If you haven’t already, set up a free and secure “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph” (as per instructions on the TB website) when it starts to develop.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
Paulina_Z
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi @psm492,

Welcome to our Community Forum! Thank you so much for your first post, we really appreciate it. 🙂

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing ongoing connection issues with your WiFi and wired connections! I can see that you've done a lot of the work for us by looking into this issue thoroughly.

I have taken a look into your account and there are no area outages that could be causing you this many issues. I have, however, found that a lot of your power levels are not looking so great.

To discuss a technician appointment, I will message you via Private Message to confirm a few details. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your forum page.

I will be in touch soon.

Thanks!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
BuntyMac
Tuning in
Message 6 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I've been having exactly the same issues over the last two or three months. Intermittent disconnections, tends to last for an afternoon or a night and then go back to normal. I haven't been able to check it with an ethernet cable but I've got about eight devices connected to the wifi, and when it happens, they all lose connectivity at the same time. It'll come back for a minute or two, and then drop again.

I signed up this afternoon to try and run the online diagnostics, and they automatically allocated me an engineer's appointment. I was pretty gobsmacked. In the past, whenever I had a problem, I've always had to jump through a shedload of hoops to get through to someone who could authorize a visit from an engineer -- though it's probably twenty years since I needed to call the helpline. (I've been here since the Telewest days.)

Anyway, I just wanted to say, yeah, me too!

Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi @BuntyMac thanks for posting and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear you're also having issues with your connection.  Have you verified your appointment on your online account?  Or do you wish me to check from here?

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
BuntyMac
Tuning in
Message 8 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lee,

I'm pretty sure I have verified it, but I'd be grateful if you could check. Thanks.

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Hi @BuntyMac

Please check this here

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
BuntyMac
Tuning in
Message 10 of 43
Flag for a moderator

Thanks. Appointment is indeed scheduled for tomorrow.

0 Kudos