Menu
stewart50
Joining in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

ethernet connection floating between 20 and 70 mbps

hi folks,

If this is on the wrong thread sorry, new here.

My ethernet connection is floating between 20 and 70 mbps, my WiFi is 214 mbps what gives????

I've checked connections, done speed test, changed cables and ports on the Hub 3.0, nothing appears to work. Even tried ringing virgin, what a waste of time...I'm still in my 30 day cool off so going back to sky is still an option.

the only thing I haven't looked at is router setting..

thought I'd try this first...

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: ethernet connection floating between 20 and 70 mbps

Try a CAT6 cable.

Are you sure the device you are testing with has a Gigabit capable NIC? Is it set up right?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

its 14 day cooling off or was - or i think it is

is the low speed just on one wired device - if so try it in safe mode just to make sure something is not running in the background and slowing it down

what lan card do you have - it needs to be gigabit to get better than 90 ish - but even a poor card would not explain 20

finally try a test with the hub in modem mode wired to a pc 

come back with some feedback on that

Tony
0 Kudos
stewart50
Joining in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Asus Z97-k motherboard with a built in 1Gb lan port..going to try the cat 6 Ethernet cable, ordered a new one from Amazon. Pc on a direct line to router, never had any problems before with sky, BT...or dare I say it talk talk.

Done several virus scan all clear.

Wi-Fi is hitting 214 mbps on my phone right beside it..

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Also, try a different browser you dont normally use (Opera, Firefox?) There are lots of recent reports on here where browser issues limit the speeds

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Slow-broadband/td-p/3960227

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Etherent-speed-slow/m-p/3912102#M202773

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Speed-Check-Only-get-maximum-80-instead-of-100/td-p/39522...

Also make sure that the network card drivers are up to date.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
stewart50
Joining in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Right new cat6 cable hooked up no change at all. As for my WiFi people have been having problems getting in contact with me since I got the virgin in. It appears to turn itself off even if it appears on. I'm leaving this place! Virgin broadband is utter crap tried ringing a couple of times no joy..help line WHAT HELP LINE!!!

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

So just to be clear - your phones connecting by wifi are getting good speeds (albeit dropping out sometimes - different issue probably) whilst your laptop is getting 20-70 on ethernet cable. So, have you done it as Tony asked.... in safe + networking mode with the Hub in modem mode ?
Also, what does the laptop get on wifi? If it hasn't a wifi card in it you could get a gigabit USB wifi network adapter/dongle off eBay for £10 and see.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
stewart50
Joining in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I bought a WiFi booster off Amazon to help the drop offs and I've knocked the WiFi off and on for this phone and tablet so many times I've lost count. As for safe mode on the PC, no change even reset the router and reinstalled all the software via the virgin connection app no change. The only thing i can't check is the box on the wall but everything seems secure.

Things left to try, setup a different channel for the WiFi..chat to an engineer at work about that seeing their at least 5 other signals that my phone can pickup and I've a couple of Ethernet plugs in a cupboard the ones you plug into the wall try them...

0 Kudos
stewart50
Joining in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Maybe channels the wrong word, route for the signal coming in maybe the other signals are affecting it somehow..

0 Kudos
stewart50
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I work in a cleanroom facility for a large storage manufacturer. So was able to call on help others might not have, plus I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to scroll through the endless internet pages on a virgin Hub 3 router. To say this was an easy fix is an understatement, it can however be broken down to 3 main parts. 1, cables 2, ethernet plugs boosters whatever you want to call them and Hub 3.0 bandwidth 2.5G AND 5G.

1, Cables Cat, Cat 5 anything from 10 mbps to 100 mbps, Cat 6 1000 mbps and up....Cat 5e 100 mbps to ?? but better signal uniformity (debate still ongoing) Faulty Cat 6 cable! The guy in the shop made it up himself and never check it. Something I smugly pointed out to him, to be fair he cut it up to 3 metre lengths (with connectors) for free which was nice and made up for the day or 3, I lost trying to figure out what was wrong. 

2, Ethernet plugs boosters etc..picked up one pack out of argos, Netgear 1000 mbps (1Gb) dumped the Cat 5e cables (see above) with it and used the Cat 6 one instead 220 mbps straight to my PC that problem solved. If you have 100mbps (BT SKY and others 80 mbps or less) plugs and a 200 mbps line from virgin, they will throttle you back they (plugs,cables) can't handle the speed.

3, Bandwidth 2.5G and 5G...I have been told I can expand the bandwidth out a bit help get rid of the annoying drops in signal and help stop my phones...tablet telling me I have a problem with my WiFi, leading me to restarting everything. I can also change the channels its on,. I've a friend doing up an idiots guide...not a clue how to do this off the bat, work in progress. Maybe I'll rattle it on to youtube or find something there and stick up a link..

0 Kudos