Menu
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: ethernet connection floating between 20 and 70 mbps

@stewart50 wrote:

1, Cables Cat, Cat 5 anything from 10 mbps to 100 mbps, Cat 6 1000 mbps and up....Cat 5e 100 mbps to ?? but better signal uniformity (debate still ongoing) Faulty Cat 6 cable! The guy in the shop made it up himself and never check it. Something I smugly pointed out to him, to be fair he cut it up to 3 metre lengths (with connectors) for free which was nice and made up for the day or 3, I lost trying to figure out what was wrong. 

So kippies was correct last week Smiley Happy

If you want to play in the wifi networks - try the experiment below to see if it helps.

Go into the Hub3 settings... (type in  http://192.168.0.1  or  http://192.168.100.1 if in modem mode) into your web browser’s url box) and login with settings password on the Hub's base sticker (or your own if you changed it) and in Advanced>wireless>signal   disable "channel optimisation" – click apply changes.  Then, go to advanced>wireless>security, rename the 2.4 & 5 GHz network ssid's.  Just change 'em to whatever you like and something that will differentiate them (e.g - xxxxx2 & xxxxx5) -- use the same password  if you like,  Then, apply settings and restart the Hub.  Your 2 wifi networks will now be clearly separated - and you can then select the network you want to connect to individually from the "available networks" list on each device.  5 GHz is usually better and subject to less interference (and is better for iDevices ) than the 2.4 one - although this one has the better "range" and some older/cheaper/dumber devices can only use this one.  Also use a wifi analyser App to check which 2.4 channels are being heavily used around you and move yours to one that is least so.   

See if that helps - you will lose any “seamless roaming” benefits but it may not matter and you can always change the settings back or do a "factory reset" if you prefer the way it was - or it doesn’t help. 

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
stewart50
Joining in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Yes he was...and a badly made up Cat 6 cable drove me nuts..

Thanks guys 😁😁

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I was only right cos I had the same issue myself LOL.

Although it is TOTALLY unofficial, HUB3 likes CAT6 cables, not 5E. Ive tested that across multiple setups and same results. Most CAT5E cables dont work well, my guess is the additional shielding specced for CAT6 is the charm.

jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies wrote:

Although it is TOTALLY unofficial, HUB3 likes CAT6 cables, not 5E. Ive tested that across multiple setups and same results. Most CAT5E cables dont work well, my guess is the additional shielding specced for CAT6 is the charm.

That's interesting Kippies.  In your experimentation what do you mean by "dont work well"?  Just dont work?  Attenuate speeds?  Fluctuate speeds? Cause drop outs ? Summat else?

Also, how frequently were the issues arising say in ~10 different 5e cables ?

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
stewart50
Joining in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Oddly enough I was told not to use the cat5e cables by just about everyone I spoke to after I'd sorted it out to unpredictable..

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Energy-Efficient Ethernet or EEE on the hub is likely the reason so that transmission power is reduced which the hub may force.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@legacy1 wrote:
Energy-Efficient Ethernet or EEE on the hub is likely the reason so that transmission power is reduced which the hub may force.

My theory is cross talk at the ports......but yours is equally valid.

@jbrennand wrote:

@Kippies wrote:

That's interesting Kippies.  In your experimentation what do you mean by "dont work well"?  Just dont work?  Attenuate speeds?  Fluctuate speeds? Cause drop outs ? Summat else?

Also, how frequently were the issues arising say in ~10 different 5e cables ?

Although i haven't tested hundreds, Id say 50/50 as to which 5E cables gave issues.

MOSTLY the issues seem to be related to speed.

Notable the issue seems worse worse when there is a source of RF noise nearby. As for one connected inline I wouldn't think of using anything other than CAT6 to connect HUB to powerlines for example. Switches seem fine, and oddly cable run doesn't seem to be an issue so thats why I came to my conclusion rather than Legacys (no disrespect intended)

CAVEAT  This is all through individual testing, varying cables and other network gear inline. Mostly my concern is throughput (read speed for most) as I move a lot of large files round the place. Even with the worst results of throughput I didn't notice any dropouts, and TBF, MOST stuff is unaffected. Streaming works fine, but I only use 1080p- judging by throughput a wired 5E is still going to be fine for 4K bandwidths if you are streaming to a media device.

Obviously as we are talking about pure bandwidth, speed-test results will be affected. So unless you use a lot of high bandwidth stuff, speed-test is where you will see the issue. Restricting bandwidth to circa 10/100 speeds isn't going to affect browsing etc. So as a rule of thumb if ought else is fine but speed tests, suspect the cable spec, if other issues arise its more likely something else.

0 Kudos