Menu
Highlighted
Ashtonjay
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

ethernet cables. Is it time to update them

im always looking to update my cables where i can and was wondering would sheilded be better than utp?

my current ones are cat 5

also is cat 7 my best bet now too?

cheers

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: ethernet cables. Is it time to update them

you should be using at least cat5e.
i'd be surprised if you were actually using cat5.

you have no need to have cat7, cat6 at the very most is more than sufficient.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Superstar
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Shielded cabling is more expensive, has a larger diameter and is stiffer (making it less flexible) than unshielded cabling. Most homes do not have  electromagnetic interference (EMI) which requires STP, if this applies to your go for UTP cat 6.

Whichever cable you buy, get decent quality from reputable suppliers as it's false economy to buy cheap and nasty which could cause problems.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

i tend to buy my cables from broadbandbuyer, good quality at good prices.
and they are an approved ubiquiti dealer too.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Hero
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Old good quality Cat5 cables, I’ve checked out some AT&T ones, can easily meet the Cat5e specs. It’s just that the specs were not out when the cables were manufactured, therefore they are labelled Cat5. It more the quality of the cables than the printed writing on them.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I'd agree with other posters that Cat 7 is probably overkill, but since for most domestic applications the cost difference is not material, why use a less well shielded product?   A ten metre pre-made Cat 6 round cable costs about eight quid on Amazon, a similar length of Cat 7 flat cable costs a tenner.

Roger_Gooner makes a good point about the fact that better shielded cables can be thicker, but if that's an issue consider what you're using it for, and whether flat profile makes sense - that might add about 10% to the cost of a made up cable, so maybe £11 for 10m.

For home use I wouldn't buy anything other Cat 7, but its your money, and your choice.  And if you're not having any problems with your current setup, why spend the money at all?  I'm not replacing my old Cat 5e/6 ethernet cables unless they're damaged or causing problems.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

i was always avoid the "flat" cables.
for home use you absolutely don't need cat7, but as you say it's your money.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Fair comment chenks, but most of us don't really need the 100, 200, 350, 500 connections we have from VM, and unlike the one off purchase of a few metres of cable, the costs of having a fatter pipe than we need are recurring month after month after month.

I'm on 200, and I can't think of anything I do other than rare multi-thread file downloads that uses the full bandwidth (and even then capped by the server).  The most common use of my (and most customers) maximum bandwidth is speedtests.

0 Kudos
chenks
Community elder
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

but cat5e is more than enough for up to 1Gbps anyway.
0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't dispute that, but I can remember the days when the internet connection was limited to the 14,400 bits per second of a modem over a voice line, and at the time some people thought that was adequate...

Back to 2019, if the cost differential of the cables is less than the cost of a cup of high street coffee, why choose a less well shielded product?