Menu
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 40
Flag for a moderator

dns

At the moment I use open dns on my wifi network adapter on computer. (TCP IPv4)

Does this stop me getting the inbuilt virgin "security web settings" if I am not using virgin dns

The open dns is quick which is an advantage (many servers)

Any advice on the merits of using virgin dns versus using a free provider like open dns or similar

If my main object is security over speed what should the choice be.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Re: dns

the virgin dns is inbuilt in superhub 3 and not changeable, so unless setting are done on pc network adaptor the default is virgin dns  via the hub3

As the pc network adaptor can be set to default or set up dns which is best option to guard against dns hijack, should I type in dns settings into the network adaptor ipv4 properties to ensure it is  always virgin dns or the chosen dns provider.

my tablet is different so no dns settings so always virgin dns.

If using a vpn what happens then?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 40
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ALF28 wrote:

the virgin dns is inbuilt in superhub 3 and not changeable, so unless setting are done on pc network adaptor the default is virgin dns  via the hub3

Absolutely correct

As the pc network adaptor can be set to default or set up dns which is best option to guard against dns hijack, should I type in dns settings into the network adaptor ipv4 properties to ensure it is  always virgin dns or the chosen dns provider.

Irrelevant, DNS hijacking usually either works by installing malware on the PC to override the IP settings anyway or by subverting the DNS server you are connecting to, or intercepting and rerouting DNS requests upstream of you.

my tablet is different so no dns settings so always virgin dns.

Odd, most systems have some way of manually entering IP information

If using a vpn what happens then?

Depends on the VPN implementation and specifically how the far endpoint is configured

Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 40
Flag for a moderator

is virgin dns more secure than using an alternative free dns like open dns (with no settings), if the virgin web setting are configured in my account or is that impossible to answer and just down to own judgement, difficult for me to decide.

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 40
Flag for a moderator

Define “secure”. 

What are you looking to achieve?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 40
Flag for a moderator

secure  means free from danger, my interpretation is that inbuilt security features provided by some dns may provide protections against phishing ,content, malware, botnet etc and this inbuilt security helps protect from danger. Also privacy is an important issue also regarding the records the company holds and for how long. At the moment I have been using open dns seems to work well. Just wondered if virgin dns is better  security than open dns . I used to tweak the web settings when I used virgin dns but found it blocked a lot of my searches so switched it off. I try to avoid any dangerous web sites which are likely to give user malware. The free dns has no settings, I have no children so child settings not needed.

I did find virigin dns can be slow  (but not main issue) only 1 server link, open dns has may server links and fast that is one possible advantage. Not sure of the pros and cons of using a free dns versus using the virgin dns  but my main priority is to Avoid Computer Infections/virus, malware, browser hijack, man in the middle, fake web sites with no  valid certificates or padlock etc. I know it is difficult to judge this and little data on subject.

the choice of dns can be an important one to make but struggling to get informed answer on it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 40
Flag for a moderator

gary_dextrer/jem101

Thank you for your replies, I have posted my explanation and views on dns security but do not know full implications limited knowledge on subject.

Privacy of data is of course also to be considered and each company has its own policy on storing your data and for how long.

In the past I have tried the  free versions ( not paid versions) of google dns, cloudfare dns, quad9 dns  but at the moment using currently for a  while now  -open dns  (cisco) which works well with a lot of UK servers. (via laptops windows 10)

The choice of dns can affect the search results and in some cases they were poor.

I have, for most of the time used the default virgin dns  provided with hub3 and played about with the web security settings in my account. There is not much data available on virgin dns other than the settings.

I still have virgin dns on my tablet (via hub3) which is very slow but old now and no settings in android  KitKat that I can find to change dns, did try software app that enabled dns change but had connectivity issues/security concerns with the provider. The tablet  is not routed and the KitKat is no longer supported so probably not secure anyway and will not connect to some websites that I use regularly for shopping etc, but did when it was new

I have had no issues using virgin dns my reason for changing it was  reading internet advice that free dns like google, open dns etc. has good protection and may be superior to isp dns but again I can not judge it myself and have insufficient knowledge on the subject. so if security is the main objective they say use quad9 is best but the merits of each dns provider are different and the two best in listings are often google dns (via Belgium servers)) and open dns (via uk servers)   Browser Speed/access time can also be important, a slow computer can be annoying and is an important factor.

So not sure how virgin dns compares with others but it does work reasonably well and has setting which free ones do not have. "Wonder what other virgin Community Members use for their dns". Even if dns is set up on a network adaptor different to virgin dns, it still is routed via virgin server to connect.

ALF28

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 40
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Here's my thoughts.

1.  DNS provided by Virgin Media, GoogleDNS, Cloudflare etc is recursive DNS
2. Virgin Media and OpenDNS don't support DNSSEC - this might not be a big thing as unless the resource you connect to uses DNSSEC in the first place then the DNS results are still vulnerable to hijacking.
3.  To set the DNS on android devices you actually need to set them to use a fixed IP address in the hubs range, e.g. 192.168.0.9 when you do this android gives you the option to set the DNS servers.
4.  If speed is your main reason for changing then the best option is to stay with Virgin Media's DNS

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 9 of 40
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you’re interested in speed I would suggest looking here: https://www.dnsperf.com/#!dns-resolvers

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 40
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Of course if you had a spare Raspberry Pi lying around, you can manage your own DNS with Pi-Hole  https://pi-hole.net/