Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

connectivity issues

We've recently switched to Virgin and we are having multiple issues with our connection despite resetting the hub and later connecting both a network extender (Netgear Nighthawk) and Zykel wired extenders for our computers.  Issues include:

- Speed varying from full at times (100mbps) down to <1mbps, no consistency in speed or when / where the speed gets lost

- Multiple devices intermittently saying they're connected to the wifi but not actually having connection - have to disconnect and reconnect repeatedly - includes the connection dropping out mid work calls

- Multiple devices saying 'incorrect password' intermittently despite nothing being changed and original password being reentered correctly - will then randomly start working fine again

Before connecting the extenders / boosters I tried using the Virgin app to find wifi blackspots and it basically says there's no connection anywhere in the house except the room that the router is in and the hallway directly outside the room.  Everything that can be hard wired in now is, and we don't have any cordless phones or anything that might interrupt the wifi signal.

I'm now getting a speed of about 40mbps via the Zykel extender on my laptop, but the Netgear extender seems to be having intermittent difficulties connecting to the router too, which means the wifi is essentially useless unless you're in the room with the router.

I'm not particularly technical so struggling to know what to do next, especially as it's not consistent, the issues come and go across different devices - any ideas?!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: connectivity issues

What speeds do you get wired directly to the hub?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My laptop doesn't have an ethernet connection so I can't actually plug it directly into the hub, but when I test it via the Virgin app its c. 100mbps.  I can be connected and fast on one device whilst another device is refusing to connect or running really slowly, so it seems to be the connection to the hub that's the issue, rather than the connection into the house, if that makes sense? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If it’s slow on some devices and fine on others then it’s not the hub

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I agree that it seems to be the connection between the devices and the hub.  It's distinct to the Virgin hub though as we've not had these issues before, and I can see some of our issues (e.g. the 'incorrect password' message) cropping up for others too.  It's also not a device specific problem as we have intermittent problems on all different devices.  Is the short range of the wifi (basically only getting a decent connection in the room and just outside it) typical for the Hub 3 do you know?  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The problem with Wi-Fi is that it can be brilliant at breakfast time and useless by lunchtime and you haven't changed anything, BUT, something, somewhere has changed, then you can spend hours and even days trying to find a fix for something that can be totally out of your control.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If you remove all the internal walls, water, electronic and electrical devices, metallic pipes and conduits and wrap the whole building in a thick lead shield you will have a good chance of getting decent Wi-Fi from an ISP Hub.

Just a few things that can affect Wi-Fi in the average home …

Mirrors, furniture, fish tanks, people, radiators, walls (some more than others), cordless phones, baby monitors, microwave ovens, fridges & freezers, TVs, next doors Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi equipment, DAB transmitters, the list is endless.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Many people have accepted that the VM Wi-Fi is poor and have purchased third party equipment that is much, much more powerful than the VM supplied kit and once set up have wondered why they waited for so long.

***********************************************************************************************************************************

Mike Robinson
Semi-Retired Aircraft Engineer & Computer Based Training and Learning Designer for many of the world's Military Arms.

My Broadband Ping - Mike Robbo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I totally get that Mike, but I can literally have two devices side by side, one which is fine and one which has connection or speed issues.  I've already got a Netgear mesh extender, and I've not had issues like this with my previous internet provider.  Is it just that the hub itself is useless?  I'm not prepared to pay out loads for extra kit when I'm already paying for the service, but I'm guessing Virgin will prob say that if the speed is there to the hub then it's not their issue?!

I've seen elsewhere about the think broadband monitor so am going to register for that and see what that says too... 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@raynejones wrote:

I totally get that Mike, but I can literally have two devices side by side, one which is fine and one which has connection or speed issues.  I've already got a Netgear mesh extender, and I've not had issues like this with my previous internet provider.  Is it just that the hub itself is useless?  I'm not prepared to pay out loads for extra kit when I'm already paying for the service, but I'm guessing Virgin will prob say that if the speed is there to the hub then it's not their issue?!

I've seen elsewhere about the think broadband monitor so am going to register for that and see what that says too... 

Correct. Wi-Fi speed and connectivity isn’t covered as there’s too many variables, as you’ve now seen. 

If you really need decent Wi-Fi get a mesh system or a better standalone router.

Extenders are not the way to go. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Is my Netgear Nighthawk not a mesh system?  It's the X6 AC2200 and says it's a 'WiFi Mesh Extender'... is that different to what you're referring to as a mesh system?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@raynejones wrote:

Is my Netgear Nighthawk not a mesh system?  It's the X6 AC2200 and says it's a 'WiFi Mesh Extender'... is that different to what you're referring to as a mesh system?

it’s just an extender. You’d need the accompanying router to make it a true mesh system. 

0 Kudos