cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting mesh system

ukmartian
Up to speed

I have just a engineer visit to try and sort out my intermittantly very slow 2.4 mhz band he has checked every thing including my own router.(hub 3 in modem mode)  and every checks out fine the only conclusion is that the 2.4 cannot cope with my devices I have about 7 smart plugs and  ROKU  suggestion was  invest in 5 mhz smart plugs or a mesh system . So i have ordered a mesh system ( cheaper than buying all new plugs ) and a have a questions about connection  Can I plug it into a existing wi fi router and still use that for wi fi as well or would I have to turn the wifi off  or what would be the best way incorperating the hub 3  ( in modem mode ) and my own router or would i need to change or remove anything...many thanks ..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You have a couple of options;

1. remove the archer completely and just run the mesh system (probably what i would opt for in the first instance) or

2. keep the archer in place and configure the mesh system in "access point" mode.

What you want to avoid is having both the archer and the new mesh system acting as DHCP servers & also, if you keep the mesh in "router" mode then you'll have double-NAT in your network - it will work, but it's not recommended.

give 1 a go, it's simpler, less configuration, fewer components etc..  if you find it's not servicing your property well enough then you could reintroduce the archer and use the mesh units in access point mode.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

lotharmat
Community elder
I would put your hub in modem mode and set up the mesh as per:

If it is DECO:

Disconnect/unplug everything including extenders (you shouldn't need to put them back on) and then follow this sequence which should work.

1. Disconnect all cables from your new router (or Mesh first unit) and the Hub and unplug them for 5 minutes.
2. Switch on the Hub leave a few minutes
3. Put it into modem mode
4. Wait for the base light to turn magenta/purple/red (on a Hub3 - but not on a Hub4!).
5. Once it’s in modem mode, the VM hub must then be powered off.
6. Switch on and set up your own router or the first Deco Mesh unit with the WAN port set to be in DHCP mode, it may be pre-set that way anyway - but check.
7. Make sure it’s fully initialised (leave 2-3 min) and then put its the ethernet WAN cable into the VM hub.
8. Power up the VM hub leave a few minutes and you should have a connection.
9. Use the recommended Deco App to set up how you want and connect the other Mesh units to the first one - may need to move them about a bit and wait till they connect.

This order only needs to be done the first time you connect the router to the VM hub.

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

one addition to @lotharmat 's helpful post - the deco line has a quirk whereby you need to complete the setup/registration of the first deco unit in the deco app with the hub still in router mode, else it won't be able to connect to the internet to complete the registration process.. so do that first, then follow the rest of the process 🙂

Thanks @sophist! I'll add that to my how-to!

My hub.3 is already in modem mode...connected to a TP LINK Archer C50 which supplies wifi and a Ethernet switch...I have order a mercury dual band 3 unit set which I believe is also by TP Link..question do I need to use the wifi TPlink in either modem mode wifi mode or should I remove it and go directly to the Hub 3 or will it cause wifi conflicts . I do intend to  separate my wifi into 2 seperate ssid's from the mesh...sorry to go over this again but learning as I go..its a nightmare.

You have a couple of options;

1. remove the archer completely and just run the mesh system (probably what i would opt for in the first instance) or

2. keep the archer in place and configure the mesh system in "access point" mode.

What you want to avoid is having both the archer and the new mesh system acting as DHCP servers & also, if you keep the mesh in "router" mode then you'll have double-NAT in your network - it will work, but it's not recommended.

give 1 a go, it's simpler, less configuration, fewer components etc..  if you find it's not servicing your property well enough then you could reintroduce the archer and use the mesh units in access point mode.

Hi thanks for that I don't understand all the ins and outs too0 technical for me , although I did suspect there may be a problem , 1 question though I am not entirely sure what the difference is with access points etc  ref you say I could put the mesh in access point mode will that not defeat the point of mesh , or could I leave them as they are and put the archer in access point mode to boost the signal  to my mancave if I was to mount it in my conservatory...sorry trying to get my head round all this home automation ...it not really  easy plug and play lol

No, the mesh system runnign in access point mode won't defeat the purpose of the mesh - it will still offer blanket wifi coverage, it just won't be providing things like DHCP and NAT on the network - that will be left to teh archer..

yes you could do it the other way around and put the archer in access point mode - essentially, you only want one "router" on the network - i.e. one device that provides DHCP, NAT etc..

choices look something like:

1. Hub in modem mode --ethernet--> primary mesh node---ethernet---> switch ----> archer in AP mode.

2. Hub in modem mode --ethernet--> Archer ---ethernet---> switch ----> primary mesh node in AP mode.

In either of these setups, the additional mesh nodes will connect back to the primary mesh node to extend teh wireless coverage.

My dude - you have just made what looked like a complicated issue seem a doddle!! - A rare skill!

• I think no 2  may be the easiest option  I already have hub -archer   archer - ethernet switch  which has devices  in it ...it looks like the mesh  system can be tagged on  but I will yry the mesh system on its own first  all this because off a cap VM signal usually  goes down every night at peak time ...