cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

change IP address

strayducks
Tuning in

Any ideas how I can get VM to allocate a new IP address as I think my current one has been compromised

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

IP addresses don't get compromised.  Computers and other devices get compromised.

Changing your IP address won't fix that.  VM aren't able to change your address anyway.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

g0akc
Problem sorter

You can get a new public IP address by switching to your own router with the hub in modem mode. 

That presents a different MAC address to the VM DHCP server.

Check all your devices/computers are clean and deal with issues regardless.  What do you mean by compromised anyway?

If your WAN (public) address changed recently, and they don’t usually change very often, it’s possible you inherited a ‘bad reputation’ from a former address owner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you have a phone call saying your IP address had been “compromised”? It’s a scam, had loads of them and as said before you cannot “compromise” an IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@strayducks wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

Just a hunch that the IP address may be able to be linked to other details that may have been leaked.

it may have been, but since most online services treat your ip address as disposable, and rely on your username/password to give you access to resources, i wouldn’t worry about it.

some services will prompt you (usually by email) if they detect a login from a new address and ask you to approve it before letting you in, but most don’t.

for services that you really care about, you should investigate whether or not you can add multi-factor authentication to your login. It may seem like an inconvenience but it adds a lot of protection to critical services.

if you are concerned that some of your details have been leaked, you should also consider changing any passwords that are shared across multiple services. 

9 REPLIES 9

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

IP addresses don't get compromised.  Computers and other devices get compromised.

Changing your IP address won't fix that.  VM aren't able to change your address anyway.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

g0akc
Problem sorter

You can get a new public IP address by switching to your own router with the hub in modem mode. 

That presents a different MAC address to the VM DHCP server.

Check all your devices/computers are clean and deal with issues regardless.  What do you mean by compromised anyway?

If your WAN (public) address changed recently, and they don’t usually change very often, it’s possible you inherited a ‘bad reputation’ from a former address owner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Did you have a phone call saying your IP address had been “compromised”? It’s a scam, had loads of them and as said before you cannot “compromise” an IP address.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Thanks for your reply,

Didn't have a phone call, just a hunch that my IP adress may have been linked to other personel information that may give hackers another tool to use to do their dirty work.

Thanks for your reply,

Just a hunch that the IP address may be able to be linked to other details that may have been leaked.

@strayducks wrote:

Thanks for your reply,

it may have been, but since most online services treat your ip address as disposable, and rely on your username/password to give you access to resources, i wouldn’t worry about it.

some services will prompt you (usually by email) if they detect a login from a new address and ask you to approve it before letting you in, but most don’t.

for services that you really care about, you should investigate whether or not you can add multi-factor authentication to your login. It may seem like an inconvenience but it adds a lot of protection to critical services.

if you are concerned that some of your details have been leaked, you should also consider changing any passwords that are shared across multiple services. 

WhyLieToUs
On our wavelength

Thanks for the helpful reply @g0akc - if I already have my SH3 in modem mode and my DD-WRT router connected to it and need a new IP address do I need to buy a new router or is there some way to make DD-WRT give me a different MAC address so when I power cycle the router I can get a new IP address?

@WhyLieToUs wrote:

Thanks for the helpful reply @g0akc - if I already have my SH3 in modem mode and my DD-WRT router connected to it and need a new IP address do I need to buy a new router or is there some way to make DD-WRT give me a different MAC address so when I power cycle the router I can get a new IP address?

google "DD-WRT spoof mac address"

first hit will give you all you need 🙂