Menu
Ouyeah
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

cannot connect ac 1200 extender to more than 100 mb

Hello, my name is Valeriu and I need some help right here with my Hub 3.0.  My package is 220 mb/s and I cant seem to get more than 150 mb on laptop and smartphone, and 100 mb on extender which all of these devices support ac band. I tend to mention that when I select 5 ghz's channel width to 20/40/80 it wont save the settings and will revert back to 20/40; the extender says it is connected to both 2.4 ghz and 5.2 ghz and 5.2 ghz band is connected to 20/40/80 channel width but the speed is 100 mb like i mentioned before. One more thing, whenever i connect the laptop to the extender i get the link speed of 433 Mbits and when i connect it to the router i get the link speed of 200 Mbits only. but the speeds doesnt even come close to the link speed.  Can someone please give me some advice on how to connect these devices and get full advantage of the 220 mb package ? Thanks.

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: cannot connect ac 1200 extender to more than 100 mb

The Link speed is the maximum theoretical speed that a connection can maintain in one direction ignoring overheads. Since wireless is half duplex (Can transmit or receive, but not at the same time) and factoring in overheads actual speeds will be around 50 - 65% of the Link speed.

Extenders that work by repeating the wireless signal will halve the speed due to the half duplex nature of wireless as each message needs two hops to get to it's destination.

I would bear in mind that wireless AC devices need a strong signal to maintain a 80Mhz wide channel (around -54dBm)

0 Kudos
Ouyeah
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

yes, but if my landlord does a test on her samsung s8 she gets 220 mb, if i do on computer i get 220 mb, i mention that they are both using wifi and i tried with the extender close by, around half a meter away from the router, and let me metion that all the devices have ac connection and it seems only the computer and samsung s8 gets the speeds of 220 mb, my laptop wont and my extender wont also even thou they are so close to the router. The router is 

Belkin AC1200 Dual Band AC Wireless Range Extender

which states that it supports speeds up to 1200 mb so 220 isnt even close to 1200....

edit: and about that link speed being dropped to half, why isnt it connecting to 433 mbit instead ? thats my wonder coz my wireless adapter inside the laptop supports it not to mention same happens to the extender... and about the phone, which is a zuk z2 pro, it supports ac band also and its geting stuck on 150 mb...

and the 80 mhz it wont switch to it, whenever i try to switch 5 ghz to 20/40/80 and i click apply its reverting back to 20/40, it wont stay 20/40/80

0 Kudos
griffin
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

A few observations

First of all the extender is a 2x2 device providing a Link speed  of 300Mbps on the 2.4Ghz band + 866Mbps on the 5Ghz band, so the 1200Mbps is neither here or there as you can't use both bands at the same time.

The laptop connecting to the extender at 433Mbps suggests it is a single stream AC adapter, the actual speed between the laptop and the device should be roughly 240Mbps (depending on environmental factors). The Link speed is between the laptop and the extender, not the Hub.

The extender needs to relay the signal back to the Hub which will slow the signal down as the extender need to process the signal and relay it. During this time the Hub cannot talk back to the laptop which it needs to do to acknowledge the signal causing the overall speed to drop by over half due to the extra hop.

I would bear in mind that the Samsung S8 uses a Broadcom BCM4361 3x3 wireless chipset (Link 1.3Gbps) and would be capable of 200Mbps with a 40Mhz channel on the 5Ghz band.

I have no idea why the extender is slow close to the Hub as they could be interfering with each other especially at half a meter distance where the wireless signals are still very strong.

You say you cannot use the 80\40\20 Mhz channel, on what?, the Hub? I would also check that you are using WPA2 with AES encryption.

You cannot force a 80Mhz channel width on Wireless AC as mandatory software will drop the channel width down 40Mhz or 20Mhz if it senses interference from other Wireless Networks

I would start with the basics and start by taking the extender out of the equation and testing the laptop and phone (which is also single stream) close to the Hub using the Hub's wireless networks.

0 Kudos
Ouyeah
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

OK, let's summarize what I find out so far.

So in theory the extender on  5 GHz would be capable of 220 Mbits peer second.

So in theory the extender should be able to receive and send 220 mbits which the package provides. But like I said the max speed between laptop - extender - router is 110 Mbits peer second. Testing the laptop - router I get a max of 145 mbits speed test with a link of 200 mbits. The same speeds goes for the phone as the laptop.

I cannot use 80 MHz width on router, and nearby I cannot see any other wireless routers that can interfere. So I guess interference is out of the question.

I wonder why the computer works fine with router - PC

0 Kudos