cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can't upgrade my old vmdg480 hub

martwright
Tuning in

my hub is old and cranky. others seem able to upgrade but my attempts just get bogged down using the various links that have been suggested.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi martwright,

Thanks for joining me on PM. Just to update the thread, the engineer visit was booked in. This can be tracked and re-arranged if needed, in your online account

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
• The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
VM will only upgrade Hubs if they are actually faulty. What does "cranky" mean in this context

Why do you want it upgraded? What problems are you having with it?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

@jbrennand VM will only upgrade Hubs if they are actually faulty.

"He fell down the stairs, yer honour"

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
How would you like a hub 5? why yes I would love one...
---------------------------------------------------------------

@legacy1 wrote:

Seriously? Why?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

@legacy1 wrote:

Seriously? Why?

Works fine in modem mode doesn't it? 

Probably yes, but would it give you anything you don’t have now?

At best no improvement, at worse, well ….. read some of the threads!

Thanks for replying John.

Cranky as in increasing amounts of buffering to the extent of making watching online content a lottery. Resetting almost daily but unsure of the benefits.

Other threads suggest that irrespective of problems, this model can be replaced - the Virgin Media site itself has offered me a free upgrade and then I get the 'oops' message. I have been unable to speak to a human direct despite my best efforts, so am hoping that my plea will be heard by a Moderator on this site as they seem to be ale to resolve such impasses!

Martin

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM person will pick this up in a day or two and should be able to help. Note they may well replace an old Superhub with a like for like refurb unit - rather than an upgraded new one.

Whilst waiting.... are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@jem101 wrote:

Probably yes, but would it give you anything you don’t have now?

I don't have a way to get a free upgrade in speed over 100Mb plus more downstream channels