Menu
melvin46
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

can not connect using wifi

I can not connect using wifi. I have tried all the fixes but none work. Do I need a new modem?

0 Kudos
mavericke2018
Superfast
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: can not connect using wifi

@melvin46,

Perhaps you may want to provide further details about you not being able to use wifi.
0 Kudos
melvin46
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replying. Some days my wi fi is good other days not very good, it seems to be intermittent. I am trying it my other desk top in case it is the one I mostly use. Maybe it is the desk top not the modem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi melvin46, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with your wireless connection. 

I have taken a look at your connection and things seem to be ok from this side.

It may help to take a look at https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/Super-Hub-2-WiFi-Performance/ba-p/3628857

If it is unrelated let us know and we will take another look. 

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
melvin46
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for getting back to me. Each time I have had a problem connecting I have switched on my other desk top and had no problems, it seem to be a problem with my desk top and not the modem. I am sorry to have been a nuisance. Again Thank you.
0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@melvin46 wrote:
Thank you for getting back to me. Each time I have had a problem connecting I have switched on my other desk top and had no problems, it seem to be a problem with my desk top and not the modem. I am sorry to have been a nuisance. Again Thank you.

What model Hub do you have ?  If it is a Hub3 and you havent already done these - do them and see if it helps.

access your Hub settings - (go to http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.100.1  in your browser) and disable the pernicious “smart wifi” - as suggested in this thread - AND whilst in the settings - at the same time do what is suggested below it

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Potential-FIX-for-WiFi-Disconnections/td-p/...

Many wifi problems on the VM Hub3 are caused by it Auto-assigning the same ssid “name” to its 2.4 & 5 GHz frequency networks.  That can confuse 2.4GHz only devices as they may try to connect to the 5GHz one. So the first job is to change that:-

Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1 (or 192.168.100.1) in your browser

• Login with the default login info (it’s on the sticker on the base/side of Hub) unless you've already updated it !
  • Once logged in, go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
  • Under “Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz” - change the wifi Network Name (SSID) in the box to summat you like...   xxxxx2G - and also the wifi password (network key) to one you like and will remember!
  • Repeat this procedure for the “Wireless Frequency 5GHz” (call it xxxxx5G to distinguish it) use  the same password to keep it simple.
  • click on.. APPLY CHANGES, Log out and reboot the Hub3

Now all your devices should “see” the 2 individual renamed networks in your list of available networks  and so you can connect to just the one of your choice.  The 5GHz one is usually best and more stable and subject to less interference.  Its range may be less than the 2.4 one though - which some devices can only use.

See if that sorts it.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos