cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cable connection keeps losing connection to the internet every 30 secs every 30 secs

scottishmw
Joining in

My cable business broadband keeps dropping every 30 secs for 30 secs constantly. driving me mad, had a few calls on this and a few remote things tried but still not right. what does it take to get this fixed?????

A19CA9CB-2AAB-453A-8D89-A6D125AAB00B_1_201_a.jpeg

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This is the VM Residential service forum, most users have no experience of the Business service packages and their different equipment.

That said... can we check are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

Are you using a VPN ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

So no VPN, just a cable router in modem only mode. has FW etc behind it but all clients wired or wireless show the same issue. also the same issue happens if i go to normal mode and connect laptop direct to the cable device.

Seems like something recycling somewhere, its like 30 secs on the dot every 30 secs, perfect timimg you could set your watch to lol

Virgin seem reluctant to send an engineer out but if its not fixed in the next week or so i'm going to put a BT DIA in at a much higher cost but feel like i have no choice now 😞

Also hud itself looks identical to the one in my house so not sure what difference the Business part is. might try and get some logs out of it and see if there is a clue in there to whats going on.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If its in modem mode - what is doing the routing then ? VM Business will differ in this regard I am guessing - they use Hitron Hubs AIUI - is yours one of them?

Also are you able to set up a BQM to visualise the disconnects

If you haven’t already, set up a free, secure and “offlsite” - “Broadband Quality Monitor” to continually monitor the state of your connection and record any true network dropouts , latency issues, packet drops, etc - it will thus allow you to differentiate between those and simple wifi dropouts. It does it 24/7/365 and it keeps a visual record of any/all of your network disconnections, useful data to have to match to the Network logs (in your Hub settings) and also in discussions with VM - note it will take a few hours to start seeing a sensible picture - post up the “link” to the “share live graph”. Click the lower link (Share Live Graph) then click generate. Copy the text in the Direct Link box, beware, there may be more text than you can see. On here click the Link icon (2 links chain to the left of the camera icon) In the URL box paste the link you copied and then click OK

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Can't seem to setup the BQM right now as i need access to the FW to add a rule (Its prob dropping the pings from the BQM for security reasons). Not sure what type of hub will take a look tonight and see if i can find out. The FW behind it does the routing using a dynamic IP from the modem, but all attempts to ping either from my home or from on site outwards see the same on/off results. Very weird.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
OK - you will need someone else to help further - post up more details of the Hub and any other equipment as soon as you have it

--------------------
John
--------------------

It might help to look at the Hub logs to see whether or not it is resetting ever 30 seconds due to T4 events. A post of your network stats, including the network log might throw light on this.
Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)