Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband

Merman23
Joining in

so, recently our 5Ghz connection has disappeared and only the 2.4Ghz is visible

Also our connection is terrible at home

all our computers struggle to stay connected

i ran the virgin media trouble shooter and it states that [There are connection issues with20 of your devices]

then the advise is to move the hub.

seriously, nothing in our house has changed for at least 6 months, we've had virgin media for 2 years yet now we need to move the hub?

and where did the 5Ghz connection go?

5 REPLIES 5

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Cheaper Wifi chips in hubs look at getting your own wifi router with 1Gb ports and put the hub in modem mode.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry, this is a genuine answer? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is legacy1's "traditional" solution 😎

First thing to do is a proper pinhole reset. Note that a pinhole reset on a Hub3/4/5 can be a bit problematic - so do it (again) EXACTLY this way (not as the VM website says!).

Firstly, make sure the Hub's sticker/card with the two passwords on it is still there and legible If not – DON’T DO IT !

With the Hub switched "on", disconnect any ethernet connections (leave the co-ax connected) and then push in the “reset pin” with the end of a paperclip/thin nail/SIM tray “tool” or similar (bigger items like ball point pen ends may not press it in far enough) until you feel it at the “stop point” and hold it there firmly for a "timed" minimum of 60 seconds do NOT manually restart the Hub at any time. Leave it 10' or so to stabilise and then your passwords/passphrase for both the Hub settings and the Wifi networks will revert to the two printed on the Hub sticker on its base/side/card. The SSID’s will revert to that on the sticker too.

Make sure you use the wifi one for devices connecting to the wifi and the settings/admin one to access the Hub.

See if that sorts it -i if not report back

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@Merman23 wrote:

I'm sorry, this is a genuine answer? 

Or you can ask for another hub and your hub goes to someone else until ethernet ports don't work or it can't run in modem mode. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Merman32, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear you are having some connection issues.

Have you changed any settings recently at all which could disable The 5GHZ?

Normally you have both frequencies there and the device would connect automatically to whatever is the best frequency for them.

If you try a pin hole reset they would put it back to the factory settings, how has the connection been over the weekend? Thanks

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?