cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband connection keeps dropping

hp11
Joining in

I've had the same issues.  This seems to come up every few months, where the connection just keeps dropping out and we find the router box with the wifi light green.  We will have a week or so where the connection just keeps dropping out like this, the wifi gets really rubbish,  yet checking local information there are apparently no issues.   We just have to keep rebooting the router.   I suspect there are local issues, but the information isn't so great as it seems to resolve itself after a while.   We've got so much connected through ethernet cables now (used all the available slots in the back of the router).  I just don't have the time or energy for the long call to confirm you've done everything you can do and it works okay now but you know you're just going to end up back in the same cycle.

We are on the max broadband package as well which I was advised to boost previously but in reality made no difference whatsoever.  The only benefit was getting a phone sim with unlimited data so we can at least rely on that for a hotspot when someone has to work at home.

Considering getting BT lines installed when current deal tie in is over.

5 REPLIES 5

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are the issues only evident on wifi connections or do you see them at the same times on devices connected on ethernet cables? If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection related?

Is it a Hub3 - and what is the Hubs base power light showing/doing when this happens?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @hp11

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

Apologies for the connection issues. Looking at this for you, all the downstream channels are out of spec which needs an engineer visit to solve.

I'll PM you now to assist further

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi John,

Thanks for responding and I've responded to your DM.

For a novice, please can you explain what downstream channels being out of spec means?

Thank you

Helen

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for joining me on PM @hp11 

I've booked in the tech visit for you, this can be tracked in your online account 

Let us know how the visit goes.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Hi Helen,

It would just be the way however data/information is travelling from your device to the internet. A technician will be able to look at this for you.

Cheers,

Corey C