cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bridge to add wired ports

Pulleg
Settling in

Currently i have run cat5 underfloor from my Virgin hub to an unmanaged switch that connects audio/visual stuff (TV, Sky etc) at back of the house. Now renovating and want the cable gone.

Can I add a Router at the back of the house to connect to the virgin hub over wifi and use the Router ports for wired internet connectivity?

Any specific model of AP/Router that others have used that you would recommend?

Any specific security settings on the virgin hub I need to worry about? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

What you're proposing would be easiest done with a mesh system with multi-port capabilities, put the hub in modem mode, and then you could connect etherent devices to the further away mesh unit.   

Cheaper mesh systems (like my TP-Link Deco M4) usually only have a couple of ethernet ports on the satellite units, whereas premium mesh systems from Asus or Netgear can have three or four.  The cheaper mesh systems can of course have an unmanaged switch connected to the available couple of ports, and that would probably be the cheapest way of doing what you want.

Or do exactly what you describe, but buy a couple of Asus routers and configure them for AiMesh operation.  

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

What you're proposing would be easiest done with a mesh system with multi-port capabilities, put the hub in modem mode, and then you could connect etherent devices to the further away mesh unit.   

Cheaper mesh systems (like my TP-Link Deco M4) usually only have a couple of ethernet ports on the satellite units, whereas premium mesh systems from Asus or Netgear can have three or four.  The cheaper mesh systems can of course have an unmanaged switch connected to the available couple of ports, and that would probably be the cheapest way of doing what you want.

Or do exactly what you describe, but buy a couple of Asus routers and configure them for AiMesh operation.