cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advise on upgrading

T0rNaDo69
Dialled in

so i just been onto virgin about turning off a tivo box that my son aint used in ages.

and to price up faster internet. currently on 200mb and the newer tv box.

told i can get 1gb and a new tv box at a good price.

checked on youtube and can see what the new hub4 is like.

issue is the hub only has 4 ports as normal....... and i need many more.

currently got a superhub and a 10/100/1000 switch. but my current hub can only handle upto 300mb and the switch only does 100 download.

so do anyone know of a 16port router or switch that can handle this 1000mb download speed.

also planning on renewing all my cat5 cable in the house soon to cat6

cheers.

14 REPLIES 14

T0rNaDo69
Dialled in

thanks for the replies.

yes when searching on cat cable speeds, i noticed that info about cat 7.

i think cat6 would be fine, but il search cat 8 and fibre and see..

now a thought. would it be better to have two 8port switches.. to split those connections over two ports instead of it all on one.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Unless you want multi-GB speeds - I would say go Cat6a. This has better shielding from cross-talk and outside interference. Also look at "solid core" cable rather than stranded - should be more robust albeit perhaps less flexible/bendy.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

yer i was planning on buying a 305m box of purple cat6 for under the floor..... from central point, patch panel to modules in all the rooms. 

then use moulded cat6 patch leads from patch panel to switch etc.....

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Cat6 may not have the extra shielding in its "sheathing" - unless it says so in the specs.

https://www.cablesandkits.com/learning-center/difference-between-cat6-and-cat6a

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

yer i dont think it does. my local place doesn't do cat6a...

but this place online does. 

https://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat6a-cable/98149-cat-6a-fftp-b2ca-solid-cable.html