cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accidently cut cable in front garden

mickandy
Tuning in

We have cut the cable in our front garden by mistake. It was only 2 inches under the dirt so we did not know it was there as it was not inline where the cable comes in. Everything is working but we are thinking of having the area covered with a resin surface. The cable was put in years ago when cable was put into our road.After a sleepless night (we are in our 70's and everything is a crisis these days) I am worried what we should do. We are happy to dig a trench for it if a new one is needed. Please can anyone help us out and how much will this all cost us? Thanking you in advance. Who do I get in touch with please?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My mate around the corner did exactly the same thing a few months ago. A quick call to VM and a man arrived to fix the cable the next day. Only took him 15 minutes - no charge either.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

You can either call or wait a week for a forum team member to come along to assist you.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you cut the cable how is everything working?  Did you cut an old cable not in use or is possible you cut a neighbours cable?

My husband taped it up and neighbours not affected as they have Sky. It was in a green plastic covering which had rotted and split. Perhaps it did not completely sever the cable? Sorry not to be more helpful I am a grey haired old lady who can bake a cake but know nothing of cables x

It's an exterior cable which is unprotected in some installations, so don't worry if it was temporarily exposed when you cut the conduit. However, if there is visible damage to the cable, then I think that you should inform Virgin Media for them to check it.

--

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
My mate around the corner did exactly the same thing a few months ago. A quick call to VM and a man arrived to fix the cable the next day. Only took him 15 minutes - no charge either.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Can you tell me who do I contact please? Do I call 150 and would it be report a fault. Thank you so much for your help.

You can either call or wait a week for a forum team member to come along to assist you.

--

Thank you to everyone who helped us. Rang 150 got through straight away. A gentleman has arranged for an engineer to come next week. Will sleep well tonight thank you we appreciate all the helpful advice received.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yep 150

--------------------
John
--------------------

Emma_E
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi mickandy, 

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to hear about the cut cable. 

I have taken a look and I can see an engineer has already been booked in. 

Let us know how you get on with everything. If you need any additional help after the engineer has been we will be happy to take a look for you.

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide