cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

absolutely useless internet

Harryiez
Joining in

Hi there,

So around 2 weeks ago our internet via Ethernet or WiFi has been intermittently terrible. The download speeds are averaging 300-350Mbps, which doesn't raise a concern to me. But the upload speed can be at 30-35Mbps which is fine but then suddenly drops to 0.08Mbps which becomes useless.

For some of the family working from home taking calls etc via Skype it's been so bad that they have had to drive into work now.

Every time I call up Virgin I get sent to a robot saying their technicians are working hard to get the issue fixed but what are they actually doing? Building a space shuttle?

I was then told on Twitter to go to the community forums to ask for help here so I'm hoping someone can advise on this here.

Thank you

Harry Cunningham

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Harryiez

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums and welcome to the team. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing issues with your service, I have taken a look for you and I can see that there is currently a Sound to Noise Ration (SNR) outage in the area that may be causing issues with your service. 

This is due to be resolved on February 3rd at 9am, are you able to let us know how things are looking after this time? 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your best bet is to keep checking with Area faults on 0800 561 0061 If you have a VM landline 150 this goes down to post code level. You could also try the web page status, but this is not recommended as it only covers issues that affect a very large number of customers.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Harryiez

Thank you so much for your post and welcome to the community forums and welcome to the team. 

I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing issues with your service, I have taken a look for you and I can see that there is currently a Sound to Noise Ration (SNR) outage in the area that may be causing issues with your service. 

This is due to be resolved on February 3rd at 9am, are you able to let us know how things are looking after this time? 

Harryiez please also be aware the the "estimated fix time" does not indicate the time the problems will be fixed; its merely a time when they "may attempt" to fix it. The way I see it, its a tactic by Virgin Media to soften the frustration of customers who they are unable to provide service to, in order to keep collecting the money from them for longer.

Here's the list of dates I have been given by Virgin Media so far since the "SNR issue" has appeared in my area:

2022-07-27: "Our engineers are aware of the issue and are working to get your services restored by 03 AUG 2022 09:00."
2022-08-03: "Our Engineers are working on this and the estimated end date updated by the Engineers is 05 AUG 2022 10:20am"
2022-08-05: "The estimated repair time is 10/08/2022 16:20:00."
2022-08-13: (complaints chat) "Everything should be back to normal by 18th August 12pm."
2022-08-31: (complaints chat) "Please accept my apologies for the hassle that you have been going through however I assure you that the connection will be back on 02SEP 2022 15:00"
2022-09-02: "The current estimated fix date is: 07 SEP 2022 15:00"
2022-09-08: "We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this and it is estimated to be fixed by 13 SEP 2022 11:05."
2022-09-15: "The estimated time is on 21st Sept around 11am the issue will be fixed."
2022-09-23: "There was no internet drop happened today, However we have found that there is an outsage in the area which is getting resolved by 26/09/22. "
2022-09-26: (in forum) "Thank you for your post and I am sorry you are affected by an SNR outage. I can see the date has been updated to the 2nd of October."
2022-12-02: (in forum) "The fault estimated fixture date is 30th November 2022. Your ticket number for the area fault is F010287839. You can ring this number 👉 0800 561 0061 to keep a track of the outage."
2022-12-07: (in forum) "Having checked for you today, this has been amended and now the estimated fix time is showing as the 7th of December at 3pm.:
2022-12-15: (in CISAS complaint response) "The company submits that a fault fix was estimated for 30/11/2022 as per the notes on 28/11/2022"

Thank you for letting me know the issue which is happening.

Will this be reflected in the next payment due? 

@Harryiez wrote:

Will this be reflected in the next payment due? 

Hard NO.

That would not be profitable for Virgin Media.

What's profitable for Virgin Media is to keep you paying for poor service.

You can get compensated for your trouble, but only when they fix the problems. Which is not something they rush to do, especially with serious issues like SNR outage. It costs more to fix that than employing a strong legal framework and some smoke and mirror tactics to keep you paying.

You can complain through CISAS. They may award you compensation. Can't comment much further as I haven't been through that yet.

My take on this may seem overly negative and only reflects my experience with Virgin Media. I wish yours will be better.