cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube videos hanging

andygibson
Tuning in

Hi, for the past month I've been having issues with selected Youtube videos not loading or hanging indefinitely. The issue is happening across multiple devices (tablets, phone, laptop) and only on some videos. Generally the videos will work again after a day or two, and different ones will stop working. 

All the videos play fine on all these devices when I tether them to 4G mobile data. The problem is only occurring on Virgin's fibre network. General data speeds and other video content work fine, its just Youtube that's showing the issue.

Any advice how I can stop this from happening, or thoughts on why Virgin's network would be less consistent for streaming Youtube clips than 4G mobile?

16 REPLIES 16

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are they playing ok when you play them on a laptop/pc connected to the Hub by ethernet cable (just as a test)?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

sophist
Trouble shooter

suspect an issue with accessing the VM-hosted google content delivery nodes - symptoms are very similar to previous posts around here..

do you have any android devices in the house that are also struggling to download anything from the google play store?

Thanks. It's funny you say that, I did have an issue with an Android phone struggling to download an app. It worked in the end though so didn't think anything of it.

Virgin assured me on Twitter that they are no caching content and Youtube should work exactly the same via their network as it does on mobile data, but lots of people have said differently, here and elsewhere...

Good shout John. I have just tried, and can confirm videos are hanging for 1-2 minutes on ethernet connection. They play eventually, and it's inconsistent, but definitely worse than mobile data.

Also the reply function here seems to be hanging now, oh the irony.

andygibson
Tuning in

Virgin have now marked this as "Solved", which says everything you need to know about their customer service...

@andygibson wrote:

Virgin have now marked this as "Solved", which says everything you need to know about their customer service...

Nah, it’s a feature of the forum - you clicked on my answer being helpful which has marked it as resolved.. you can use hte Kudo (thumbs up feature) to say thanks for an answer and un-mark the answer as helpful which will clear the “resolved” flag.,.,.

Thank you, I appreciate you showing me the ropes. I have now marked your answer as unhelpful, I hope you won't take it personally. 🙂

I suggest perhaps Virgin's UI could be a little clearer about what they mean by "helpful"...

😃

this has come up a number of times before, it seems to be gremlins in the VM network.. the only way it’s been resolved previously (to my knowledge at least) is by forcing the hub to issue a new WAN IP address.. why this solves it i can’t say, but it has for a number of different users..

unfortunately, the only reliable way to do this is either by having a new hub from VM or by using your own third party router. If you don’t have your own router then you can test the theory by putting the hub into modem mode and connecting a single device (PC) to it via ethernet and seeing if it works… 

andygibson
Tuning in

I have still received no response from Virgin on this issue, despite the promises of the Twitter support team that this would be answered. 

Youtube is virtually unusable on my Virgin broadband network, but works fine on all devices across 4G.

The most likely explanation is that Virgin is intercepting Youtube traffic and routing it through a different system, one that is frequently broken. Is there a way I can pay more money for a package where Virgin promises not to "add value"?