cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox one slow download speed

Benduell90
Joining in

Hi, for the past few months, my download speeds for updates are terrible. I am currently averaging anywhere between 50kbps and 10mbps (very rarely). Before these few months i used to be hitting roughly 120mbps. Sometimes even a lot more. Can somebody help as to why this could happen? Their has been no change in modem/set up for years but performance levels are terrible. This is for peak and off peak downloads.

5 REPLIES 5

Marty20
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi

Have you tested the speed on any other device? If so what were the results? Can you please private message me your account number and area reference so I can look into this for you. To private message me, just hover over my profile picture and click Send Message when the option comes up. Please be mindful not to post those details in a public reply. Thanks, Marty

If I've helped in any way, please give me Kudos and mark my response as a helpful answer!

Fancy £50 off your bill? Ask me how and you might just get it!

I am a serving Field Technician at Virgin Media however all responses are based on my experiences in the field and my own equipment at home and should be taken as such.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Are you looking at the download speed in the xbox store or are you going into the settings app and doing the "test network and connection" option and looking at the speed there?

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

It is as i am downloading an update for a game. I am currently averaging 100kbps which is just awful. I have the 350mbps package but dont get anywhere near. This has been like this for the past few months. Ive reset my router and checked all connections are ok. When i go to the test connections, it says my download speed is 446mbps and upload is 36mbps. Thanks

You mean test connections on the xbox speed test in the settings menu?

Game downloads are limited by the servers they are connecting to - this morning I had some game updates that were downloading at 2.50Mbps, but the xbox speed test shows a conenction speed of 835Mbps down and 45Mbps up (I'm on the Gig1 package).

So it's perfectly normal and the issue is with the download servers on Microsofts side limiting or reducing bandwidth.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

One way to complete this answer is by connecting your personal hotspot on your phone (tethering) to the xbox and testing to see if you get more speeds downloading using your phone as the wifi connection.

that’s if you have decent bandwidth on your phone, best way to check is to speed test your phone on 4g/5g before connecting it to your xbox

i can without a doubt that i’ll be virgin media throttling and very rarely it is Microsoft Azure Cloud service that they run xbox live on. They have one of the worlds best data centers competing with google and amazon