Menu
LJC123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Xbox One constantly disconnecting from Xbox Live

We have a new purchase of an xbox one (so don't know too much about gaming/connections etc) but was working fine (online live gaming) with old network provider, but since moving to VM we keep losing connection?

Can you help please?  So frustrating when my son is playing online with friends and gets kicked out of the game.

What is wrong?  What do we need to do to fix it?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Xbox One constantly disconnecting from Xbox Live

Do you have a Hub3 ?  Is he connecting to it by wifi or by Cat6a ethernet cable ?  Should try both and report back.

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
LJC123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Morning

He's connecting via wi-fi (since the hub is in the dining room and tv in the lounge.

I have no idea what Hub (Hub3) how would I find out?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@LJC123 wrote:

Morning

He's connecting via wi-fi (since the hub is in the dining room and tv in the lounge.

I have no idea what Hub (Hub3) how would I find out?

There are a few things that might help sort his problem (assuming it isn't a network connection issue) so tell us the Hub type.   Hub type is printed on the sticker on the base or in a drawer.  

--------------------
Services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
LJC123
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

ok checked and its Hub3

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@LJC123 wrote:

ok checked and its Hub3

OK - there are a few options and solutions and it depends how technically savvy you are about moving around the Hub3 settings.  Assuming that all is well otherwise with your internet connections (?) in general terms, the Hub3's wifi is just not very good! Particularly for "serious" gamers - some of whom will spend £300+ on a "gaming" wifi router to improve that.  Before going that far (!) however - there are a couple of things to try/check to see if it improves it.  In its settings in smart wifi do you have "enable channel optimisation" checked - if so disable it.  Also in settings, rename the ssid's of the 2.4. & 5 GHz networks so they can be easily differentiated on your list of networks and can then connect your devices to the one of choice that works best for you.

If that doesnt help, wiring up the xbox to the hub will solve the issue - but can you easily run a Cat6a ethernet cable from the router to the xbox and plug it in at both ends?  If that's not feasible then "powerline adaptors" offer a good solution.  You get a pair of these and plug one into a mains socket by the hub and join them with a short Cat6a ethernet cable.  Then plug the other one in near the xbox and run a short Cat6a cable from it to the xbox - you then "pair" them as per their instructions and the magically the internet connection between the two is made by sending the data over your ring main.  My lad is an avid gamer and he has a pair of these for his pc and PS3 and swears by them - great speeds !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Solwise-PL-1200AV2-PIGGY-SmartLink-PowerLine-Passthrough/dp/B00PQL2SSK/

Finally you can bypass the Hub3 wifi completely by getting your own wifi router or access points (no need to spend £300 though £70-80 would get you a good one of either) and connect it to the Hub3 which then goes into modem mode.

Hope that all makes sense

--------------------
LJC123
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You're an absolute star.

I'm not really techno savvy but I've read what you said and will read it and digest it all again very slowly, I'm sure I'll get there.

Listen, I don't even know you and you've spent all this time on giving me a couple of solutions and for that I'm really grateful. 

Thank you so much and our best wishes

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - we are all happy to help out on here.

--------------------
0 Kudos