Menu
NorthantsPete
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Wow. Technical knowledge poor at the helpdesk!

So I called today for a replacement router or remote flash of the rom or at least some troubleshooting.

I skype called the desk - my 5G is working fine but i cant get 2 g working on any channel, authentication failure - yes, checked passwords etc. just isnt working. Its slowly degraded over the last few weeks.

Ive factory reset many times, worked first time, second time worked for a day now ive done it 3 time today, cant get 2g working at all.

Call the desk - there's a fault in the area - cool, its not broadband related though.

"I cant fix this isssue as there is a problem in the area". I explain, its my LAN.. not broadband..and im using broadband to call you - so the WAN is fine.

She still doesnt understand.  I tell her i could cut the cabel in the road, it has nothing to do with engineers in the area.. my local LAN is not working on 2G wifi.  WIFI.... LOCAL WIFI... I cannot connect one pc to the next in my house... not the street. Ignore the internet!

"there is a fault in the "... Right, let me talk to 2nd line, manager, 3rd line, anything.

"I cannot there is a problem in the area affecting your wifi"

I talk to her manager, he says the router kills all wifi in the hosue when there is a broadband issue. I hang up.

So, someone tell me, why does the router drop my wifi local signal in my house if there is a problem on the external line??

If i reset the router, right now, it will work again fine... for a few minutes until it stops! 

I literally connected to the kids wifi and called them from there on skype, on the same external broadband connection but different router (dlink).

Driving me mad. I hung up.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wow. Technical knowledge poor at the helpdesk!

Your are better off in here 🙂
Could be a faulty Hub but might just be external interference on the 2.4GHz frequency - as you say the 5 is fine. have you tried a wifi scanning App to see what your environment is like.
BTW - tell us what model of Hub you have (printed on its sticker/card) - if its a Hub3 you could try disabling smart wifi/channel optimisation and renaming the SSID's of the 5 and 2.4 channels - often helps.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
NorthantsPete
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

yep, disabled all that auto junk, Ive got acrylic and scanned the area... Im free to use channel 1, my neightbour is on channels well away from mine.

I just factory reset it and all is fine..... until later on no doubt 😕

Im not changing any settings, going to use the factory chosen name, ip addressess ( i have been on 192.168.7.x for months just fine).... so i can reset the router and get back online

0 Kudos
NorthantsPete
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

its frustrating to readd the wifi to all my tv's server laptops phones etc. so Ill keep the factory defautl name from now on 😕
0 Kudos
Highlighted
jbrennand
Alessandro Volta
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

understood !

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
NorthantsPete
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Maybe im doing this all wrong - manually.... maybe i should keep the original SSID and let it do everything?

Thing is my phone doesnt have 5g...  so it will be going off and using my data all the time!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi NorthantsPete,

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the broadband issue. I've ran a check on the fault you were told about and this is a congestion issue. The estimated fix date for this is the 11th December 2019. The fault number is F007481449.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS wrote:

Hi NorthantsPete,

Thanks for posting. My apologies for the broadband issue. I've ran a check on the fault you were told about and this is a congestion issue. The estimated fix date for this is the 11th December 2019. The fault number is F007481449.

Kind regards,

hmmmm so how does a congestion issue affect one band of the OP's wifi - answer it does not so maybe addressing that would be useful 

to the OP - forget most of what offshore said - yes i know you have already - complete BS apart from they seem to have seen a fault in the area - a congestion issue - are we talking over utilisation - if so forget the fix date its likely to go further and further into the future but that apart if it is that then they should book a tech if they think the router is faulty

or going back to the post from VM they can replace the hub via this place but they have to pick up on that which seems to have gone over their heads

so sit and wait and lets hope they get back 

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi NorthantsPete, 

I'm unsure as to whats gone on here, but I want to take a look at your account to make sure It's not an area issue. I will send you a private message. 

Cheers. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos