cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working from home - wifi extenders

Ellie216
On our wavelength

I’ve been working from home since March 2020 with no issues on my wifi. 
just had a massive system update on my work pc & it started freezing up and losing connection. 
Work IT guy has told me that it’s not my laptop it’s my wifi. I happen to know it’s not my wifi but the muppet won’t authorise a fix on my laptop until I install a wifi extender and see how it works after that (idiot) 

so all I need is for one of you lovely VM people to advise me on how to buy wifi extenders please. Many thanks

11 REPLIES 11

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using a VPN - these can be problematic?

Does the laptop work ok when you connect it on an ethernet cable?

Can it connect on wifi when in an internet cafe/bar/pub.. etc.?

Do your other wifi devices work ok on the VM Hub?

What Hub model and package are you on.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Everything works absolutely fine. I stream music & films all the time when I’m not working with no issues at all 

I have a hub 3 on M500

plus one of my colleagues who lives in a completely different park of the country with a different internet provider is also having the exact same problem

this is why I know it’s my wifi

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I dont follow this. If someone miles away is having the same issue on a different wifi connection - then that observation says it not the wifi its something to do with the laptops.

Again... are you connecting into work on a VPN?  If you are - look at this...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Disconnecting-frequently-using-VPN-s/td-p/4...

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, Ellie216,

Sorry to hear that you have been having network connection issues with your work laptop. I would agree with jbrennand, if two unrelated devices on two different providers are having the same issue and the thing in common is the work VPN, then it is likely to be the VPN.  However if you are able to try a wired connection that might help bypass wifi issues.

Cheers,

Corey C

Ellie216
On our wavelength

Thanks everyone for your comments. However, I know it’s nothing to do with my wifi or hub or VPN. 
The VPN has been used since 23/3/2020 with no issues at all  

please note the only reason I posted in the community was that my employer is refusing to raise this as an issue until I either

1. connect via Ethernet - cannot do this as hub is too far away

or

2. purchase an wifi extender - this is the option I am trying to do but really need someone from VM to contact me. 

many thanks 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Ellie216,

Corey is from VM 🙂 We are doing everything possible to understand and help you.

VPNs have an affect on Wi-Fi which causes a big drop in speeds due to the bandwidth it requires.

We do not sell Wi-Fi extenders, we only provide Wi-Fi Pods but these would not be able to help with this VPN issue, I know your work is not wanting to address this issue.. But they need too.

Please do contact them as the only devices being affected are the ones using the works VPN.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Ellie216
On our wavelength

Thanks everyone

I’ve spoken to someone in both my tech & VM. 

I’ve worked from home for over 18 months with no issues at all. 
it’s since the recent upgrades done by VM. 

Spoke to someone in my Tech department & in VM last night  - we have a solution…

I’ve ordered a power link adapter. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Should be ok although speeds will be attenuated somewhat - but that shouldnt matter too much.

One thing you could do is get a 20-50m run of Cat5e/6 cable for <£10 and run it to the Hub and test the connection.

If it works just leave it connected until the powerlines are working. The circuits must be the same or go through the same consumer unit/fuse box (most upstairs/downstairs ring mains do) and be free of any "noise". Dont use socket extenders - go straight into the plug sockets

--------------------
John
--------------------

lotharmat
Community elder

@Ellie216 wrote:

I’ve been working from home since March 2020 with no issues on my wifi. 
just had a massive system update on my work pc & it started freezing up and losing connection. 
Work IT guy has told me that it’s not my laptop it’s my wifi. I happen to know it’s not my wifi but the muppet won’t authorise a fix on my laptop until I install a wifi extender and see how it works after that (idiot) 

so all I need is for one of you lovely VM people to advise me on how to buy wifi extenders please. Many thanks

Sounds like your work IT department are morons - Literally all that is changed is a massive system update on your work PC and they are trying to blame everything but the update they likely rolled out!!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7