cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working from home and unable to connect to network drives

lfcsja
Tuning in

Hi, I have been working from home without an issue for the last two years. Over the last few weeks I have started to experience an intermittent issue that means I can't connect to my work's network drives for long periods of the day. My home WiFi has been working perfectly during this time. Occasionally the problem is resolved for the rest of the day by switching my Hub off for 30 minutes at a time. Unfortunately this isn't always effective and I need a permanent resolution. 

The IT department in my work have looked into the issue extensively and believe the issue is down to my Hub 3.0 as it has to connect to the work network drives via VPN. They think my Hub needs to be replaced and upgraded.

On Friday I relayed this message to VM via a Live Chat and the advisor said he would send a booster signal and recommended I performed a factory reset on the Hub. Unfortunately this hasn't resolved the issue. Can anyone please advise what to do next as it is very frustrating? 

8 REPLIES 8

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Connect pc to hub in modem mode (change to modem mode power off for 2mins then turn back on unplug replug ethernet cable till you get internet) and test the connection like that then look at getting your own router with 1Gb ports.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't know where to begin with that. 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Can you still connect on an ethernet cable connected device when wifo ones drop out - If you don't know, can you check to help diagnose whether it is just a wifi issue or it could be network connection/Hub related?

There are lots of threads on this forum re. VPN issues and VM Hubs. Do a search and see if any offer any solutions.

However, as I recall, the only "guaranteed" way to sort it forever for every case is to put the VM Hub into modem mode and use your own wireless router. I did that 20-odd years ago and have never had a single VPN issue.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

How do you put the hub into modem mode, please? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this.... You will have no router though so only one device plugged into the Hub will get a connection - on ethernet and not wifi. But try it and see if it sorts it if it does get a router

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/reboot-or-reset-hub

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for that.

Are any of the VM tech team looking at this thread? What do you suggest? 

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
A VM forum team member will respond on here when they get to the thread in a day or two.

--------------------
John
--------------------

Hi lfcsja,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you are facing issues connecting to your works VPN which your I T team haven't been able to help with, although we do not support VPN issues I will be happy to make sure everything is OK our end, so I can help I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.