Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work VPN speed suddenly horrendous

LynneR-en
On our wavelength

Hi over the last few days my work

VPN speed has reduced drastically. 
I have hub4 with 1gb fibre. 
I usually get around 150mbps wireless when I run the speed test however this last while I’m sitting around 8mbps which is making it extremely difficult to be productive.

IT support have checked everything at my works end and laptop etc so the issue has to be with Virgin. 
I worked from my mums this morning and it was exactly the same issue.
No other devices are affected. Looking at router stats my laptop is receiving speeds of 1gb on wired and 468mb wireless so I don’t understand what the issue could be. 
tried a pinhole reset of router which has made zero difference.

can anyone help with what might be causing this? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LynneR-en
On our wavelength

It’s a Cisco any connect secure mobility client  and I’m unable to access the internet on it without being connected so can’t run the samknows test on laptop. 

when I do it on my mobile this is what I get: 

5A29F380-6B6A-4597-8E97-35B66DEFE371.png

 these are the results from my hub status yesterday:

2FFEBBD3-1CBD-47A0-B0FB-0999D0F4AD80.jpeg

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

LynneR-en
On our wavelength

I meant to say my mums broadband is with Virgin too 

Speed test your Hub with the office VPN disabled, does it look like the service to the Hub or office laptop are degraded ?

Once the test begins click Run full test to see the upstream figures.

https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
What type of VPN is it?
---------------------------------------------------------------

LynneR-en
On our wavelength

It’s a Cisco any connect secure mobility client  and I’m unable to access the internet on it without being connected so can’t run the samknows test on laptop. 

when I do it on my mobile this is what I get: 

5A29F380-6B6A-4597-8E97-35B66DEFE371.png

 these are the results from my hub status yesterday:

2FFEBBD3-1CBD-47A0-B0FB-0999D0F4AD80.jpeg

My work laptop is last one on the list. 
virgin said there is a temporary stability issue and an engineer visit is arranged for tomorrow but I don’t understand why no other devices are affected 

In window firewall block outgoing udp remote 443 this will make Cisco any connect use tcp to see if that does anything.
---------------------------------------------------------------

LynneR-en
On our wavelength

Not sure if I can do that due to security on my work laptop - I don’t have administrator privileges and all of those kind of settings are blocked. IT have checked and say there’s no issues with VPN or settings. They suggested I ask Virgin to reset ISP settings to update the drivers?? I literally don’t have a clue here haha  

First line office IT support often don't have a clue, if there was a power cut they would be the last to notice.

The Realspeed test on the phone shows good performance at the Hub and over WiFi, more than plenty to run an office VPN.

When we run a speed test over VPN folks often miss that the speed test run data out and back from the destination end of the VPN ( the office platform ) which can be a real choke point on a Friday the most popular day for folks to WFH.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

As Client52 says, speed tests over a company VPN are meaningless because you are testing what speed the company allows you from their server to the test site. This might be deliberately limited to avoid blocking more important traffic on their internet connection. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.