cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work VPN at home not connecting. L2TP connection failed.

Jamiemilne
On our wavelength

Today I had to work from home due to a doctors appointment and tried connecting to my works VPN, I received an error message that stated: 

"The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer" 

Searching the error on Google I saw some Virgin Media related issues but couldn't find a solution. 

Can anyone advise?

7 REPLIES 7

Client62
Legend

I'm using 3 different firms VPNs they all work fine network cabled via a Hub in Router mode.

Assuming you are using a VM Hub in Router mode, in the Virgin Media online account Disable both Child Safe & Virus Safe.  Child Safe blocks most VPNs. Virus Safe is usually OK, but to be sure start with it off.

Been trying to access the Child Safe settings but the security page of My Virgin Media is displaying an "oops" error. 

How is it acceptable for an ISP's security portal to be displaying an "oops" error. I don't think I've ever used Virgin Media's account site and not had an error. 

Client62
Legend

Bypass Child Safe & Virus Safe

This is a workaround for when Child Safe & Virus Safe does not or cannot be turned off

If you change the computer's network settings to use any Public DNS that should re-gain full access.

Try with OpenDNS using 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

I am picking this one as there are instructions here : https://use.opendns.com/

For Google Public DNS it would be the same method but  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Thank you for the advice, I'll try that later tonight! Appreciate the help.

detox1978
Tuning in

Did you manage to get this sorted?

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

use modem mode and get your own router

---------------------------------------------------------------