cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work VPN & Hub 5

danteffs
Joining in

Hi,

Since switching over to a Hub 5, I have found that I cannot reliably connect to my work's VPN. I've seen other posts on this topic and the advice seems to be to use modem mode and then buy a wireless router. Is this the only suggested option? 

My work is using Microsoft's AlwaysOn VPN - over ports 500 & 4500.  It is not locked down to a specific WAN IP or anything like that. 

When I first got the Hub 5 VPN connectivity didn't work at all for the first 36 hours (while everything else worked) and then suddenly it started working. However the other day my hub went offline for a few minutes and since then I've not been able to connect at all. All other internet services are working fine and I can even see traffic from my home IP in our work firewall over port 500/4500. 

Beyond buying additional equipment is there anything I can do? 

3 REPLIES 3

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@danteffs wrote:

....use modem mode and then buy a wireless router. Is this the only suggested option? 

No its not the suggested option...its the only option.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks - do you have any recommendations for a wifi router which works well with Virgin? Not looked at consumer wifi kit in a while.

(Strangely, I find my work VPN periodically works, but nowhere near consistently enough to be usable)

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Any router will do I use zyxel USG/VPN security routers like Zywall 110 and VPN300.

Todays consumer routers are aimed at speed so you could look at ZyXEL Armor G1/G5
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ZyXEL-Armor-Multi-Gigabit-AC2600-Router/dp/B08KGSQWTT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&k...

You can test how stable the VPN is in modem mode without a router
---------------------------------------------------------------