cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work Laptop slow connection

Mike6688
On our wavelength

Hey everyone, I'm working from home and my internet is great usually other than few dropouts (on the Volt M350 package) but my work laptop has been an issue connected to WiFi.  Trying to do anything is slow online, and accessing files on the network - it is fine when I connect to any other network.  

I did set up a Google mesh system and put the virgin hub into modem mode as I saw a few others suggested trying a mesh system, however it was worse.  I then took the hub out of modem mode and connected only the work laptop to the hubs wifi on its own. - and this worked well!  It seems as soon as I start adding any other devices to the connection is where I then start to have trouble with the work laptop slowing.  I've run a speed test on the laptop and the speed is good (around 290Mbps) it seems to be a delay before anything connects.  

I currently have left the set up as the mesh system is connected via ethernet and this has all my security cameras connected, with all other devices connected to the Virgin hub via wifi and Hive Hub connected via ethernet to the hub - I'm unable to connect my work laptop to ethernet due to location, but works ok via ethernet when I try.

Firstly, any suggestions as to the cause of this, could it be priority management on the hub?  I do have 4 HD cameras continually uploading to storage (connected to ethernet via the google mesh system) which appear to be using about 10Mbpss upload continually.  

Could this be an issues if the hub is trying to priortise this connection and not prioritising my work laptop?  I did also see somewhere that NHS laptops with a VPN might have an issue with Virgin connections but can't find this now, cold this also be an issue?

I was also considering an upgrade to GiG 1 as I can see I can pay an extra £11 a month for this (£34 for 18 months) which I was considering to get an upgrade to the hub 5 if this might solve any of the issues, as improve upload speeds for the devices connected.  

2 REPLIES 2

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does the Google mesh system have the ability to plug an Ethernet cable into it? Ethernet is always better than WiFi and especially if you are using it for long periods like on a work laptop.

"HD cameras continually uploading to storage (connected to ethernet via the google mesh system) which appear to be using about 10Mbpss upload continually.  " This is the downfall of using cameras that upload to the cloud. Personally I would never use them, my system records all data locally. This has the advantage if someone tries to enter your home and cuts off you broadband connection you still have all the images. This is one thing people do not think about when investing in cameras.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Mike6688
On our wavelength

Unfortunately there’s no Ethernet ports on Google mesh, I thought there was when I brought them 😕 as I planned to use a splitter to wire a few devices to them around the house.  But too late once I realised.

I agree about the cameras, they are more so I can check in and keep an eye on things and get alerts if anyone is on the property, they have some local recording if the wifi does go down or electric goes off it certainly not as good as a ones recording locally.