cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With the arrival of a Hub 5, has anyone dumped their extra router?

Community
Joining in

I had to get a better router to resolve the issues with overheating, device count getting too high, and whatever the heck else was going on with my Hub 3.  It's worked really well for a couple of years. 

A Hub 5 is arriving soon.  Has anybody else who received one decided to return to using the Virgin kit as their only router, and how has it gone?

In my case this is my current setup:

Hub 3 in modem mode
Nest Wifi (previous gen) providing the Wifi network
Cheap switch providing ethernet since Nest Wifi only has one extra port
Bunch of computers, smart speakers, bulbs etc

2 REPLIES 2

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
If the current set up is working fine then just leave it alone. Set up the Hub5 in modem mode and run it that way.

Or you could just unplug you nest router and fire up the Hub5 and using it as is... see what the wifi/ethernet connections are like if you leave it in router mode and connect to the new Hub5 SSID.

Might be a faff changing a few wifi devices to the new SSID - but choosing a few key ones in distant locations should soon tell you if its ok or not. Then decide either to stick with it - or return to you previous set up.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks jbrennand.  Those seem like sensible actions to take, but with this question, I'm looking for people's experiences over time.  Anecdotes are fine:

Has anybody else who received one decided to return to using the Virgin kit as their only router, and how has it gone?