Menu
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wireless IP cam issues

Hi elvedhel

You would need to contact the manufacturer of the Cameras

If everything is working service wise with our Hub then we are not trained in 3rd party equipment 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

"not really an option"

You have two options get your own router or go with another ISP.

0 Kudos
elvedhel
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

its not a manufacturer issue.. its the fact that port 80 on virgin hub is closed and even port forwarding will not open it. without using the hub and just using my laptop and external IP the virgin hub is blocking ports which stops ANY form of outside access
ive had similar issues on testing certain games as a host server.. the issue is with the hub.
using portforward.com port check tool port 80 is not open or reachable and pinging my ip address externally also shows it as blocked. the cameras are standalone and have there own IP addresses and Ports but the virgin hub does not allow the ports to be unblocked, the port forward tool simply doesn't work.

The cameras used to work using there own app, this is no longer supported due to the scaremongering of china hacking and as such has caused a global block and millions of Chinese apps. just look on apples app store or android store and may ip related apps have been removed in past month , this was supposed to be a workaround to solve that problem but the hub itself doesn't solve it due to the blocking.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hang on a minute, I've just read your posts from last Thursday and where you said you could access the camera locally from your laptop on 192.168.0.201:8201. The thing is, you really shouldn't be able to access it on that address as the camera should only be listening on port 80, unless you changed the port on the camera to be 8201 which would make your port forward rules all wrong and explain why port 80 is reporting as being closed.

So just to be clear, the two cameras now have fixed IP addresses of 192.168.0.201/24 and .202/24 right? So forget accessing them from the outside for the minute, can you access the camera feed from inside the network, i.e. on the same wifi and what exactly do you put in the web browser to get to that feed?

There's another's potential issue with accessing the cameras on the external IP address if you are trying it while still on your own wifi. It depends if the Hub understands a feature called NAT loopback NAT reflection, it can sometimes be a bit problem - but for now let's just concentrate on working out then exact setup.

John

0 Kudos
elvedhel
On our wavelength
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

ok the cameras default port is 80. I changed it to match the example above by putting the IP address for the camera that's shown in the hub 3.. so lets just concentrate on one camera as rules for both would be exact same... so here goes... CAM1 shows under hub settings / connected devices as 192.168.0.201/24 so if I put 192.168.0.201 in my laptop browser ( connected on same network ) it brings up security login screen for username and password... put those in and the IPcam webserver page loads up. I can then see the cam working and if I click settings on this page then ip config it has DHCP unchecked ( I can check this but having it unchecked gives me the static ip address... netmask is 255.255.255.0 , default gateway is 192.168.0.1 , DNS server is 192.168.0.1 and port is 80.... ok so that seems normal.... running show my ip on my laptop it gives 82.33.***.*** ( hidden the last 2 sets of numbers for obvious reasons...Now previously it all worked through BVcam app and you could connect and view the cameras anywhere when out and about... because I guess the app went through specific servers.... from reports in the news in the past month or more a lot of these servers have now been blocked as risk ( Chinese servers I guess ) and there are 1000's of posts on forums with people no longer being able to access there ip cams through apps on both android and apple market place... I have tried several apps and all have same problem in that they cannot connect other than when on your own LAN at home.. makes an IP cam rather redundant then.. a lot of these apps have also now been removed or taken down by there makers from the app stores . BVCam for example is no longer on apple store and ive tried using alternative called P2P live cam but again only works on local network when im accessing net oh iPhone at home across wifi.. and these apps are very limited in terms of device settings.. in essence to set them up you change your wifi to the cams wifi by searching wifi network on phone or scanning the barcode on the cam.. once connected you click on the wifi config option in the cam app and then choose your local home 2.4ghz wifi and that puts the cam on your network.... and so the cam is on default 2.4ghz which is enabled in the hub and they appear there as mentioned at the top of this post....but how to communicate them through a browser away from home... defeats me
0 Kudos
Degsy69
Joining in
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Just to give some more insight, a lot of these P2P camera apps are broken at the moment. They are all using the same source code with a different skin - the app authors are usually gang zhang. 
I’m keeping an eye on these pages for updates:

https://www.spysite.com/pages/announcement-page
https://www.palmvid.com/wifi-hidden-camera-issue-support-page.html

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&nv=1&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=auto&s...

0 Kudos
elvedhel
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

exactly, hence why I was hoping to get the thing working without the app.. its a huge issue at the moment
0 Kudos
Timwilky
Superfast
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

off topic

When I realised my cameras and DVR were happily chatting to servers in China, I put them on their own vlan and made sure they could not get through the firewall. If I want to view remotely from home. Connect my VPN and it is just like being at home.

OK the OP doesn't want to use modem mode and his own device. But he is also prepared to compromise his network security. Cameras / NVRs etc are small but very capable linux devices etc. Do you want to let god knows who in China onto your network? 

0 Kudos
elvedhel
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

that's why im trying to find a way around it... id quite happily use a VPN if I can set it up on my mobile phone , but as I dont own a sperate router to operate modem mode and im not prepared to pay out £100 + for one then that's not an option.. and if someone in china wants to hack my standalone IP cam to watch my cat and dog in my living room let em
0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos